Asian Hornets (again)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
The Asian Hornet (Vespa Velutina) has been found in PARIS. A nest measuring 60cm high and 50cm across was found 8 meters up in a cherry tree on the 29th of September. Source:- Abeilles et Fleurs (Bees and Flowers) Magazine Oct 09.
This year is the first year we have seen them here in the Dordogne but this report is 400km further north:ack2:
I think the danger is over for this year, the young queens will now be hibernating/looking for a place to hibernate. Next year the South East of England is IMO almost certain to get them.
I am going to deploy my hornet traps in March in an attempt to trap the young queens while they are starting their new nest.
:cheers2: Mike

The Asian Hornet (Vespa Velutina) has been found in PARIS. A nest measuring 60cm high and 50cm across was found 8 meters up in a cherry tree on the 29th of September. Source:- Abeilles et Fleurs (Bees and Flowers) Magazine Oct 09.
This year is the first year we have seen them here in the Dordogne but this report is 400km further north:ack2:
I think the danger is over for this year, the young queens will now be hibernating/looking for a place to hibernate. Next year the South East of England is IMO almost certain to get them.
I am going to deploy my hornet traps in March in an attempt to trap the young queens while they are starting their new nest.

I doubt that very much, where else is it in Northern europe? one nest found in Paris is hardly a sign of it flooding into Kent :) why dont mouse guards work on them?

Hi Jezd,
The Asian Hornet was "imported" in a cargo of Chinese pottery into Bordeaux in 2005. Since then it has spread in all directions throughout France.
As I said we had our first sighting this year AND it has now been found in Paris, that is 400+ kilometers in one year - How far is Kent from Paris?
At 9mm the holes in a standard mouse guard allow the hornet through, Thomas, the French equivalent of Thornes, have produced a green plastic guard with smaller (6mm I think) holes which keeps them out.
Apart from them taking and eating bees the stress they cause is unbelievable. My bees have never seen an Asian Hornet until this year but as soon as one appears the guards are out in force all over the front of the hive and very jumpy. Having these "alerts" every half hour or so must disrupt the colony.

Hi Ameldridge,
That Clip does give you nightmares but it shows the Giant Asian Hornet. The Asian Hornet we have now got is the same size as the European hornet but is just as aggressive and employs the same tactics of attacking mob handed.
Beekeeping over here is turning into a battle against predators :(
PS A badminton racquet sorts the little beasties out:):)

Hi Ameldridge,
That Clip does give you nightmares but it shows the Giant Asian Hornet. The Asian Hornet we have now got is the same size as the European hornet but is just as aggressive and employs the same tactics of attacking mob handed.
Beekeeping over here is turning into a battle against predators :(
PS A badminton racquet sorts the little beasties out:):)

what do commercials do with thousands of hives in France?

I only know 1 professional bee keeper and her losses are approaching 10% with a lot of colonies severely weakened. She has gone for the small mouseguard option but reports that the bees do not seem to like the restricted entrance.
As soon as the leaves are off the trees all owners of woodland in our Commune are being asked to search for nests - normally between 5 and 20 mtrs high in the trees. Any found will be removed and the theory is that hornets will not occupy an old nest but will find the site of the removed nest attractive and may rebuild in the same place. These sites will be monitored and any new builds will be destroyed asap.

Hi Mike, they talked about it on the news back in September. They think the female layers are hitch hiking around in lorries.
Doesn't the channel tunnel end up in Kent?:confused:

Saw one of these beasts here in the Peak District earlier on in the summer. As someone allergic to wasp venom they really are terrifying!!!

Hi Mike, they talked about it on the news back in September. They think the female layers are hitch hiking around in lorries.
Doesn't the channel tunnel end up in Kent?:confused:

that is where my money would be with queens all cosy on a lorry ready for Spring, are they tolerant of cool, damp, wet, crappy weather? :) if so they are gona love it here :)

Saw one of these beasts here in the Peak District earlier on in the summer. As someone allergic to wasp venom they really are terrifying!!!

I was on commercial site a few weeks ago and had the pleasure of seeing close up a European queen ready for hibernating, lets just say she scared the sh*t out of me, she was almost 3" long and just hovering around the yard - her wings flapping actually blew leaves around the ground!!!!
ok that last line is not 100% true lol, but she was huge!

I'm glad you added that last line!
But I can confirm that although they have no guns, they have an attraction for tanks! Big enough to be impressive. :)

Not she, THEY.

Know your enemy

I emptied the wasp/hornet traps today - a few wasps, a lot 30+ european hornets and just 4 asian hornets. Sorry the picture is not very good but these specimens could have spent up to a week in the soup attractant:):)View attachment 1173

Sorry folks should have resized that pic. Stating the obvious the asian hornets are the 4 on the left with 4 european cousins on the right for comparison. The biggest european was 35mm long.
Jean,
Missed that bit of news, makes a lot of sense - 400+km in one year is a big spread without mechanical assistance. Ship from SE Asia - Truck to the channel, What next Eurostar to London - tongue in cheek perhaps but possible. Have you had any problems with them this season?

Have you had any problems with them this season?

NOPE. But then I live in a very remote area. The last lorry probably went by in 1938. I think they're concentrating in Dordogne to see what the English are like before doing a mass invasion:)

Had a lot more wasps though.

Hi DulwichGnome,
Positive ID - European Hornet
Mike

We have had a few in Sussex, but they haven't found my hives. Hate to admit but I do kill the ones I find. Shame as all life for a reason- but my bees come first.

Latest posts

Back