Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nests always way up in tall trees - which is not even an option on this quiz 🤷🏻
Well it shouldn't be because it isn't always the case. Went to a talk a few years ago and we were shown more than one example of a secondary nest established in low bushes, one at lower than head height

Received an email at midday today informing me of the sighting of the Asian Hornet in Gosport and asking me to be extra aware.
I can't help but think that by the time information is passed to local Beekeepers the whole incident is already done and dusted.

Received an email at midday today informing me of the sighting of the Asian Hornet in Gosport and asking me to be extra aware.
I can't help but think that by the time information is passed to local Beekeepers the whole incident is already done and dusted.
I got an email from our local Association secretary .. all members got one .. but asking us not to broadcast the information until it was a confirmed sighting. By then it was already on Facebook and on here !!

Here in Dorset, the next county to Hampshire, I have received no information from the powers that be.👎

This forum is an excellent source of updated information
It is usually very accurate, and up to date.
Many thanks to all involved 🙂

Has anyone else been sent the announcement of the BBKA photo competition? Basically, take any photo of a non-bee insect.....like wasps....or hornets....EVEN Asian ones. The photo samples.....hmmmm o_O

Went to a talk a few years ago and we were shown more than one example of a secondary nest established in low bushes, one at lower than head height

A recent report states that of the nine UK nests so far destroyed, these have been in:
a Cyprus tree, Escallonia hedge, brambles, Alder tree, unidentified bush, London plane tree, Spruce tree, Oak tree, and in a log at ground level.
So approx half in tall trees.

Completely agree.
I attended an AH conference in early 2019 and the four speakers all had different perspectives on how they reported the situation and how to deal with it.
When all four were on the podium together for Q&As at the end, they contradicted eachothers' advice - didn't quite come to blows but tension was pretty high! 😲

I was there, it was run by the BBKA and quite agree, the "not invented here" arrogant attitude you could cut with a knife. Very experienced and knowledgeable academics shared vital intel. I thought the NBU were also pushing a badly thought out line that even a poor soul with very limited intelligence could see through was misplaced. I left there pretty much feeling we'd already lost the battle. I then attended another event and we were openly acknowledging the NBU could only "fund" full scale responses for another season or so. The ability, very arrogantly rebuked at the aforementioned meeting by the BBKA, not to lobby the govt to change the law on catch and release, means you're effectively going to a arse kicking competition with one leg tied up your back.

Do we know if nest was in Gosport or across the water.?

I was there, it was run by the BBKA and quite agree, the "not invented here" arrogant attitude you could cut with a knife. Very experienced and knowledgeable academics shared vital intel. I thought the NBU were also pushing a badly thought out line that even a poor soul with very limited intelligence could see through was misplaced. I left there pretty much feeling we'd already lost the battle. I then attended another event and we were openly acknowledging the NBU could only "fund" full scale responses for another season or so. The ability, very arrogantly rebuked at the aforementioned meeting by the BBKA, not to lobby the govt to change the law on catch and release, means you're effectively going to a arse kicking competition with one leg tied up your back.

It is obvious to a half blind,half deaf old codger like me that IF Asian Hornet takes hold in the UK, the NBU do not have the resources to deal with the workload that entails.

I hope someone is planning how beekeepers are going to step in.. Drones and sophisticated tagging are of course illegal...
F

Latest posts

Back