Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found dead outside the front door?
I guess there is always the possibility that somebody could have put the dead hornet there knowing the homeowner is a beekeeper

Flippin 'eck should I post a link to the flat earth society????

Actually I’ve just read it’s a queen and there is a search for a nest. Heaven knows if that’s true. Maybe Emyr has spies that can tell him.

I'm from the next BKA and have sent link to county AHAT

I live five miles from Tetbury home of the first sighting and on Beebase and I'm still waiting notification

No news is good news.
However it also leads to a lot of speculation, which isn't always so good.

There have been credible sightings and it is being treated seriously .. not yet a confirmed case though. It's just around the corner from my late Mum's house and I used to use her garden as an out apiary occasionally. I'll be putting a hornet trap down there tomorrow. Far enough away from my bees not to be immensely concerned but it's too close to be complacent.

Not really surprised, it's only half a mile across Portsmouth Harbour to the Ferryport and there are several ferry crossings every day to France - including a lot of roll on roll off traffic. It was always a case of when not if ...

Perhaps someone’s been on holiday to France and is playing a practical joke?
As leader of our local AHT I would be absolutely horrified if someone thought this would be a good joke.
Perhaps people who think it's funny should volunteer for their local team and see how much time is spent following up on reported sightings.
Although mainly EH, we have had all manner of 'sightings', all of which need to be chased up, for fear of letting the one genuine one slip by.
A recent report on AH in Galicia shows that 2 undisturbed AH nests multiplied to over 10,000 over just four years. We can't let a single one go undetected.

As leader of our local AHT I would be absolutely horrified if someone thought this would be a good joke.
Perhaps people who think it's funny should volunteer for their local team and see how much time is spent following up on reported sightings.
Although mainly EH, we have had all manner of 'sightings', all of which need to be chased up, for fear of letting the one genuine one slip by.
A recent report on AH in Galicia shows that 2 undisturbed AH nests multiplied to over 10,000 over just four years. We can't let a single one go undetected.
Who chases them up?
AHAT volunteers or the NBU?

Who chases them up?
AHAT volunteers or the NBU?
The local AHT has to do all the chasing up. The NBU will only come out for a verified sighting, i.e a photo/specimen. If confirmed they would then take over.
(For some reason or other, following the BBKA AH conference earlier this spring, AHATs are now called AHTs. Don't know why as when there is a sighting the Action part is definitely there!)

The local AHT has to do all the chasing up. The NBU will only come out for a verified sighting, i.e a photo/specimen. If confirmed they would then take over.
(For some reason or other, following the BBKA AH conference earlier this spring, AHATs are now called AHTs. Don't know why as when there is a sighting the Action part is definitely there!)
The bee inspector was on site yesterday, trapping and tracing the nest ... whilst it is still not confirmed I don't think it's a sick joke - there have been apiary sightings which they want to confirm.

Latest posts

Back