Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol, must remember that one, although I did see some big queen hornets last year and they sounded like planes too.

You're surely thinking of Mr X and the syrup factory :)

= = =
You are honing up your 2010 master plan, I trust. I wish you good weather and a bountiful crop of bees and honey.

Last edited:
:) yeh, they grow em big down there!

One of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet

According to Natural England: 'Despite its impressive appearance, the hornet is nowhere near as aggressive as other social wasps and seldom stings humans. In the 1960s and 70s it was regarded as a rare species in Britain, but it has become much more widespread, particularly in wooded areas, and has continued to spread northwards so that it now occurs almost throughout England except the far north.'

G.

A simple effective hornet trap

Take a one and a half or two litre plastic water/coke bottle, cover the bottom 2/3 with duct tape. With a sharp knife make a horizontal cut half way up the bottle 5 cm long. at both ends of this cut make vertical cuts 1 cm long. bend the flap formed in at an angle of about 45 degrees (like an upsidedown letter box flap). Prick a dozen small holes near the cap (to release the scent)

Bait - I find a splash of strawberry fruit syrup (any sweet juice) a splash of cider vinegar, water to make 3" deep, then add a chopped up banana skin!!

Both wasps and hornets are attracted by the scent and eventually find the "letterbox" flap and enter the trap, once in they head for the light at the top of the bottle, they tire and fall into the bait and drown:) Bees totally ignore these traps. Empty and re-bait at least weekly. Good hunting.

Last edited:
A simple effective hornet trap

Take a one and a half or two litre plastic water/coke bottle, cover the bottom 2/3 with duct tape. With a sharp knife make a horizontal cut half way up the bottle 5 cm long. at both ends of this cut make vertical cuts 1 cm long. bend the flap formed in at an angle of about 45 degrees (like an upsidedown letter box flap). Prick a dozen small holes near the cap (to release the scent)

Bait - I find a splash of strawberry fruit syrup (any sweet juice) a splash of cider vinegar, water to make 3" deep, then add a chopped up banana skin!!

Both wasps and hornets are attracted by the scent and eventually find the "letterbox" flap and enter the trap, once in they head for the light at the top of the bottle, they tire and fall into the bait and drown:) Bees totally ignore these traps. Empty and re-bait at least weekly. Good hunting.

Got a pic of said item ?

Got a pic of said item ?

The plastic containers can be found by the thousand in your local supermarket. Follow those simple instructions and you can look at your own.

Sorry, but sooo simple!

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back