Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENZO

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello All,
Well, reading the papers, The Asian Hornet has reached St.Malo in northern France, St.Malo have Dayly sailings to Jersey, about an hour by ferry but also quite a few sailings to the UK every day.

The reality is that they are going to spread to us one way or another and if so, Another threat in our beekeeping world. How Sad.

Does anyone Know how to deal with these Hornets? I read that they can wipe out a full colony in less then an hour!

Enzo

I thought the Asian Hornet was already in the UK?
I remember last year reading they have been spotted near or in London?

dont think so, all hell would break lose if those blighters start hovering in front of our hives.

Hi Enzo

Some use traps(wasp type) in the apiary for much of the year including when Queens are about in the Spring. (Just thinning numbers) Keep your entrances reduced and avoid the temptation of many beeks that leave great big full lenth hive entrances open...................................other than that you know as much about them as me, might be time for both of us to learn a little more.

Regards Ian

Last season was the first experience of the asian hornet. The followinf is a precis of the advice given by our association:-
Trapping Queen Asian Hornets.
Set traps between 1st March and 15th May after which date the queen remains in the nest.
Between 15 May and 1 July it is relatively quiet, a number of nests may be found at low or medium height with size from orange to basket ball.
From 1 july attacks increase to maximum by 25 July and continue until frost kills them off!!

In the last 2 years 10% of beekeepers have quit per year, honey harvest has been reduced and pollination has been less effective. There have been 20 attacks on people throughout the Gironde and 1 man was killed in the Dordogne last year.

I will dig out the instructions for making very effective traps. I bait mine with a measure of strawberry syrup a dash of cider vinegar and a banana skin, add water until the liquid is about 3" deep.
Regards Mike

PS My avatar is a picture of the little beastie so you know what to look for!!

Last edited:
I collared one (I think it was...) last year. West Sussex
About 2" long and very noisy, smacking into my lounge window-inside. I hate killing anything- but this was an exception - trapped under glass, sprayed - took 2 days to die. I didn't want to bash it dead as I wanted it as an example (sorry insect lovers- I can hear you shouting at me re long death)

About 2" long and very noisy, smacking into my lounge window-inside. I hate killing anything- but this was an exception - trapped under glass, sprayed - took 2 days to die. I didn't want to bash it dead as I wanted it as an example (sorry insect lovers- I can hear you shouting at me re long death)

Any photos of the example Heather........so that we all know what to look out for?

Nice to see the member we have from the BBC is keeping up with forum posts ;)

Asian-Hornet_Vespa-velutina-nigrithorax_%20Frelon_asiatique_France%20.jpg

Its been a while since I have seen one but a Wood Wasp may look similar apart from a spike sticking from its backside and about 2" long.

I think the asian hornet will happily kill the bees at the entrance of the hive and then enter to ransack the hive I dont know if they will be stopped by a mouse guard.
If just by chance you are asking about wood wasp i think they are no danger to bees they do however make holes in timber

you should have reported it really I think to relevant authorities.

JD

Guys and Gals

Heather's hornet was probably the European hornet. Queens up to an inch and a half long. Not a big problem, other than its sting which is as painful as that of a wasp, and a habit of munching on bees, but not in huge numbers.

The French problem is the Asian hornet. It might get here one day. Try moving to Scotland where it is probably too cool for them.

Tom's videos are the Asian Giant Hornet, altogether a nastier beast. That one isn't in Europe yet, thank goodness.

G.

:) yeh chill out, we should start a count of how many times this subject pops up in the media in 1 year.

Hi jezd it may be interesting when news clips of the Asian Hornet are shown.

Everyone now wants to save the honey bee but will they when they realise what may turn up in their back garden

Last edited:
Heather,
The asian hornet is completely silent in flight whereas the european hornet sounds like a lancaster bomber:D

Latest posts

Back