Asian Hornet

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of interest, what are the stings like on these and are they very aggressive to humans?

M

Not really aggressive to me - mostly they meet my badminton racquet, but on the odd occasion my backhand is lacking they seem to get the message and bugger off away from the hives. (typically they hover around the hives and wait for a straggler)

Sting is similar to European hornets, and wasps.

Just out of interest, what are the stings like on these and are they very aggressive to humans?

M

I have experienced no aggressiveness from them and I like to get very close to creatures. Issues where they have arisen have been the usual for "wasps" when they feel that they or the colony is threatened.

Sting toxicity depends on the specifics of the person stung, also as usual, but painful for sure! We all react differently to stings from different species.

Chris

Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. Lets just hope we don't see them in the uk any time soon.

M

Thanks for all the photos Chris, they give us a good idea of what we should be looking for.

Back