Asian hornet baffles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Interesting article in BBKA News, Feb 2019: 'Asian hornet:the sleepers awake.' The article describes two types of baffle, fixed to the front of the hive, used by the French.
The first, the muselier (=muzzle) is a cage made of 10mm mesh. It is briefly mentioned in the Asian hornet sticky.
The second, the bouclier (=shield) is a plastic cage with large holes marketed as 'Stop-it'

https://www.icko-apiculture.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=bouclier

Both gadgets are said to dissuade hornets from hawking the bees.

I guess both of these will be seen on UK hives if and when AH becomes established.... but hey lets give the NBU and BBKA guidance for beekeepers a chance first.

All branches of BBKA need to form AHATs and register them with BBKA for its map:

https://www.-------------/asian-hornet-action-team-map

Beekeepers and public need to keep their eyes open for AH founding queens and the best places to see them will be nectar producing spring flowering shrubs. Single flowered camellias are a likely place as the queens need to refuel for the often long flights they make to find nesting sites as they come out of hibernation.

If anyone sees what they think is a Vespa velutina queen try to get a photo and report it to :
[email protected]

Since NBU says all nests in the UK that were know about have been destroyed last year the only possibility of seeing queens this spring is from nests that were not spotted and NBU admits this is a possibility, or from accidentally imported queens brought in by whatever means over the winter period.

Asking for people to look for an insect that is probably not there is asking for a search of an Haystack for an imaginary needle....but if we don't try to stop the first outbreaks we can only look forward to the type of situation that exists on the continent

Hi all, I used a French bouclier in my first year. I was rather keen and bought a couple thinking Asian Hornets were just around the corner. It proved to be very effective against wasps as it takes the pressure off the bees and the wasps couldn't anticipate from which hole the bees would emerge. Actually they often came from below. It isn't very expensive but the postage is high, so best to buy with another mate.

It's obviously too late to order that for this year, but I have also used a damp sheet draped from the roof down in front of the hive. The bees soon realise to enter/exit from the sides, taking away some of the stress. I've only had my under-hive entrances for a week, but they seem to be working currently (fingers crossed).

Attachments

• Bouclier.jpg
    Bouclier.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back