Ashforth Feeder Paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portsoy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ashforth Feeder from Thornes, what type of paint is used to waterproof the inside. Its currently white.

If its something strange, where do you get it from?

When I did mine I used one of those flexible textured bathroon ceiling paints. Bought many years previously. Put to use at last. They have not cracked or leaked, but a bit of a rough texture.

Regards, RAB

I've used standard Dulux gloss over primer on wooden feeders. No problems, but make sure it dries thoroughly before use. Now I use beeswax ... much better.

D.

I think it is fine for things other than poly too - all I know is that feeders are meant to be textured rather than smooth, to help the girls grip

Ashforth Feeder from Thornes, what type of paint is used to waterproof the inside. Its currently white.

If its something strange, where do you get it from?

How about beeswax and a blowlamp to impregnate wood and joints? I wouldn't paint mine with gloss anyway but heated wax is good for later maintenance to seal joints.

I had a terrible leak from my budget feeder so I slapped liberal coats of PVA and then soaked the feeder in water 24 hours before I used it to be sure any gaps still present were sealed up.

Worked a treat.

You can use most oil based paints avalable on the retail market. I would suggest a gloss intended for external use. Be absolutely sure that it is completely dry before placing on the hive though.

Not all PVAs are waterproof and will peel off sooner or later if wet. It was the soaking that solved your problem, but only temporarily, as when the water dries out, you will be back where you started.

Not all PVAs are waterproof and will peel off sooner or later if wet. It was the soaking that solved your problem, but only temporarily, as when the water dries out, you will be back where you started.

Yes and no. I had checked it was waterproof for an hour or two, but as a belt and braces approach, I soaked it in case the weight of the syrup deformed the feeder.

But you're right, a more permanent solution will be sought for next spring. It was my first feeder and I won't be making the same mistakes.

Back