ASBO against bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worry about this myself, I keep in the back garden and have included my nearest neighbour in my decision to keep at home (the swarm was actually on a telegraph pole in their front garden). In fact they have popped round to see the bees and are enthusiatic. Keeping goodwill from neighbours and the abscence of a damages action is worth more to me than the convienience (and enjoyment) of popping down to the hives with a brew of an evening for a gander. I've noticed a few posts saying don't keep at home but some of us have a stark choice, keep at home or don't keep! I am actively looking for an out apiary site for next year but would want to retain at least a hive at home for interest. Thoughts on this and what are the views on best techniques for identifying and getting agreement for out apiary sites? Are you guys who have them paying rent? rent in kind (honey)?

have raised a court action against beekeeper David Dickman in order to have him move the hives.

Perth Sheriff Court heard last month how Dickman, 45, and his partner Bill Young, 51, attacked Tony in his garden.

I bet some people who read the newspaper article will claim its a case of Homophobia.

not familiar with that sub species of Bees Admin is it a local variant in Scotland? bee-smillie

Well Rosti finding an out apiary is not difficult.

What I do is go and look for a site, then find out who owns it and then make contact with them.

If it is rape then I mention that there is a known increase in yield plus offer a jar of honey per hive, or now adays a carton of comb.

As for bees in gardens I have posted at length about it. It is a serious risk.

PH

it sounds like dickman and Young are a right pair and they would do anything to annoy their neighbour, it seems they are being antagonistic and just plain nasty, the bees just hapen to be their weapon of coice :boxing_smiley:

Sounds like they are using the bees to intimidate the neighbour, its just like someone using a Rottweiller to intimidate a neighbour - thast happened round here. Bees don't normally behave like that surely.
I have just come back from my out apiary where I have some bees that I was given. I thought they were a bit frisky so they only stayed in the garden one week. I suspected the queen had disappeared so had to go and check a test frame. Queenleess, as I found out and probably cheeses off with the weather. They were the bees from hell. I dont mind bees jumping on me but this lot have perfected the art of burrowing under the cuffs and joining you on the inside. I have seen one or two trying it but today it was about a dozen on each arm.
Now those would be the bees to use if you wanted to really upset the neighbours.Rules I was taught for gardens
1) Only gentle bees
2) Make sure they don't annoy neighbours. Mind face towards one boundary but towards a 7 foot high hedge to lift them up.
3) Dont carry out manipulations when people are out.
4) Make sure bees cannot see people from hive entrance.
My ninja bees, as I call them, got shipped out as soon as possible and I am getting a new queen anyway.
Up at the apiary I have a swarm I collected and a cast that turned up. They are both beautiful bees to play with.

That's disgraceful behaviour on the part of the beekeeping neighbours. It really sounds like they are deliberately trying to use the bees to intimidate.

They must really be into sadomasochism. Its not because of their sexual orientation but anyone who keeps bees like that must enjoy suffering. Beekeeping is supposed to be fun.
I like DrNick's comment, i had missed that.:)

This may be the silly question of the day, :blush5: or indeed asked/answered elsewhere but if you have a hive full of nice gentle bees, will they remain gentle with the current queen, until maybe she ages. Obviously when requeening, things could change.

The reason I ask is that my bees are real pussycats, :laughing-smiley-004 just not bothered about anything (yet) (And yes I know pussycats have sharp claws) and I was wondering if this is likely to last. How much of the drones temperament is passed on (if at all). (Can't you tell I know nothing about genetics etc) The queen is a this years queen. :nature-smiley-011:

bee-smillie

Might depend a bit on circumstances - defending stores, foragers at home in grotty weather.

However I have found they generally retain their docility. Likewise they probabaly never improve if they are straight up in the air, following, etc.

Just that either you put up with bolshy bees or re-queen. The second option is probably the better, but your nice docile queen will generally give offspring which are closer to the norm for the area - less docile. That is why Buckfast queens are so much in demand.

Regards, RAB

Back