As ++

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I did an AS on a colony 2 weeks ago, then moved the original colony a week later to a new site 3.5 miles away. Just opened up the moved colony and there are 2 or 3 Queen cells with larva in again. There are also eggs and larvae of all ages. I guess I need to do a new AS tomorrow, but if this carries on, I'll run out of equipment!
Is this a normal thing to happen?
Could it be because I was too slow to super as ther is rape nearby?

I did an AS on a colony 2 weeks ago, then moved the original colony a week later to a new site 3.5 miles away. Just opened up the moved colony and there are 2 or 3 Queen cells with larva in again. There are also eggs and larvae of all ages. I guess I need to do a new AS tomorrow, but if this carries on, I'll run out of equipment!
Is this a normal thing to happen?
Could it be because I was too slow to super as ther is rape nearby?

Before you AS them check the brood area for laying space.
Where on the frames are the cells?

They are on the bottom of one frame in the BB. I think there was space to lay, but I'll reasses tomorrow. In any case, if there are occupied QCs isnt it too late for anything other than a swarm control?

I cant find the Queen although she must be there as I can see eggs. There wasn't a gap in laying, so I dont think it's a new queen, but perhaps the mark has come off.
If I do an AS tomorrow and I can't find her, I just split the hive in half, destroy all Q cells and put a frame with eggs in each new hive. Then block the entrance of the new hive. Is that it or should I put a QX on the each hive until I find out which is QL?

Latest posts

Back