AS not worked swarmed today!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newtobees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Going up
Hi in need of some advice i have a colony that was in a national brood box to which i added a 14x12 on top to make it a double brood a few weeks ago as i wanted to move then out of the standard national. Two frames of brood was placed in the 14x12 to get them to start drawing frames all seem well although they were only drawing the frames slowly .
On doing an inspection last Thursday i noticed some charged queen cells so carried out an AS . Carried out an inspection today and there were two charged queen cells in the AS i tore down these as i could also see the 2013 queen and lots of eggs. I did this to gain a bit of time to decide what to do . Whilst checking one of my other colonys the AS swarmed in front of me an amazeing sight they came out so quickly and were off onto some trees .15 mins later they all came back as the queen had been clipped i then found her walking in the grass on her own placed in queen cage and hung in between the frames of the hive.
Question what should i do now another AS my worry would be that there would not be enough bees left in the parent colony as must were flyers from the AS i did last week .

You have to kill the swarming fever. You can only do that by making the queen think she has swarmed. If you need to keep the colony as one then look at demareeing. Leave the queen in a new brood box on the old site. Then QE, then supers, then QE with a small entrance cut in the frame to allow drones out, then old brood box or box's on top. Check for queen cells in top box' s and destroy and do same again in five days time. The queen in the bottom box will now only have flying bees and the brood will still be emerging and joining the hive from above. Read up on it, it sounds like the best way forward to me!
E

hi, just to clarify, with a demaree should you leave 1 or 2 frames of brood with the queen and make the frames up with foundation or have i got it wrong. Only asking as i want to try demaree this year. Many thanks, Nuc

Just the one (she is just less likely to abscond with unsealed brood in there). If she isn't clipped, you might want to put a QE below the new box as well to make sure she cant get out. Just until you know she is laying in the new box, then remove the bottom QE.

So from bottom upwards Floor, QE, New box with old Queen, QE, Super(s), Demeree board, old box with brood, crown board, roof.

check the top box after 6 days and then again after another two and knock down all queen cells. Also before removing the bottom QE, check the bottom box for cells as mine had built a queen cell in the bottom box from the unsealed brood I put in with HM at the beginning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back