AS 2 colonies to give 3 ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello, I have two colonies, one I was given as a nuc last April and one last July. Both came through winter very well and are thriving. Both had play cups, no eggs at the last inspection, last Saturday. The question is can I in some way convince both not to swarm (I know playcups do not equal packing their bags but I want to be one step ahead) and build a new colony in another part of the garden in one swift, (preferably simple), AS type procedure? Would it be best to just do both and recombine them?The move is part of a larger plan, where through changes in the garden all the hives will have to be moved in the autumn. How will making 2 into three affect productivity? Thanks

AS 2 to give 3, not sure what you mean.

AS fools them into thinking they have swarmed, making another colony is a split, IMO

I'm sure somebody expand.

Sorry, I have confused terms. What I want to know is the best way to make three colonies out of my two and if this will in effect discourage them from swarming. As an AS would. Or am I best to AS both to have the best chance of avoiding a swarm....Any better?

If you want another colony, then you can do a split with one colony, you can even do two splits (one from each)

An AS will kid them into thinking they have swarmed.

I suppose it depends on your priorites, More colonies, or more honey.

Yes I see what you mean. I suppose what I am asking, on reflection, is does splitting the colony make it less likely to swarm? Or would I end up making a split and making an AS too?

U could AS one and take some frames of brood from the other then u would be left with 3 colonys, but Icould be totally wrong :D

very simple procedure to split one colony, but in my opinion you are best waiting for Queen cells given the liklihood of getting a better queen that way though I'm sure there's loads on this forum who may disagree.

There is a video of this simple procedure on the Somerset Beekeepers website which is worth a look

Latest posts

Back