Artificial Swarming technique...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to move the 2 hives back around again

No, not that. You move the parent colony to the other side of the A/S part.

The idea is to remove flying bees from the parent colony such that in the case of leaving two cells, they are less likely to produce a cast swarm. Dependent on how or what you have done might have some bearing on the matter.

You also need to check for extra queen cells in both colonies, since you A/s'd.

RAB

So I move the hive with the queen cell in it to the other side of the hive I put the queen in with the new foundation???
Hope this sounds right.. and when do I do it? It will be 4 days tomorrow from I A/S'ed them..

Not really side. You must move it 10 feet that flying bees do not return to the old hive.
Like Oliver said, idea is to separate old bees and brood.

So I move the hive with the queen cell in it to the other side of the hive I put the queen in with the new foundation???

I do believe that is precisely what I said. Finman is right that you could move it further (in the opposite direction). You could move it any reasonable distance (but almost certainly not a mile or morefor any good effect!!).

The Padgen method, I presume, was developed to cover the situation of a row of hives, spaced such that a A/S could be done on several without interfering too much and that they were not all A/S'd on the same day! In that situation, the minimum (simplest and easiest) sensible move is from one side of the A/S part to the other.

Latest posts

Back