Article - The Beekeepers' Revolution and the Looting of a Small Planet

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Agreed. With most, if not all. My bees are not imported, although their parents several generations ago could have been.

Rowcropping was better for the land than pesticides. Horse manure kept the land in better health than probably any manure these days and certainly better than inorganic fertilisers.

There is only one reason for all these maladies - too many humans to be sustainably supported by the planet.

RAB

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Good article. While global economies are predicated on growth, the problems will only get worse.

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
There is only one reason for all these maladies - too many humans to be sustainably supported by the planet.

RAB
A controversial subject that most people would agree with, but many would not be prepared to do anything about it... (not in my yard mentality)

Population control on the electorial agenda would be an outright vote loser, but if sucessful would be the start of solving so many problems...

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Population control, so which country shall we bomb next.
Limiting childbirth has to be the most politically correct way... One child limit would be too extreme forcing an economic collapse as the populations average age increases too significantly.

two children would allow a gradual decrease...

natures answer to offset population increase is starvation or disease. People have a different reason to kill each other (religion).
Unless nature gets help to reduce the population, starvation or disease will do the job for us.... personally, I would prefer a choice!

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Sounds like its more likely to be the plague then,because birth control is not going to work,anymore than prohibition did.

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
China's one child limit made a huge impact. China 'estimates' that the birth control has prevented 400 million births.

Due to medical advances the population getting older, China still has just under a million more births than deaths every month.
It has also caused loads of financial issues and will not see a huge benifit for at least a generation..

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Sounds like its going really smoothly.

According to accounts posted on the Internet by villagers and witnesses, officials in several parts of Guangxi mobilized their largest effort in years to roll back population growth by requiring mandatory health checks for women and forcing pregnant women who lacked approval to give birth to undergo abortions.

Corruption, land grabs, pollution, unpaid wages and a widening wealth gap have fueled tens of thousands of incidents of unrest in recent years, many of them in rural areas that have been left behind in China’s long economic boom.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/22/world/asia/22china.html

peteinwilts 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Corruption, land grabs, pollution, unpaid wages and a widening wealth gap
I don't think China has ever gone smoothly...

on the other hand, we have our own British versions of all of these features without the population control!

Hivemaker. 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
>on the other hand, we have our own British versions of all of these features without the population control!<

LOL, i agree with that,we have.
We need a revolution,bring back madame guillotine.
Another world war will happen at some stage,thats the most likely way the population will be cut.

Last edited:

OXFORDBEE 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
Sounds like its going really smoothly.

At the moment. Don't forget that many chinese familys opted to have a boy rather than a girl to carry on the family name.

All those frustrated boys are going to cause problems in the long run!

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
It's actually simple arithmetic - as pointed out here, by the excellent Prof Albert Bartlett http://youtube.com/watch?v=RdOk521m9WA
-it's not a question of whether we have to slow population growth or not, just how and when........... in simple terms, the sooner we do it, the less it's going to hurt- if we leave it too long, nature will choose some deeply unpleasant remedies of her own...........

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
It's actually simple arithmetic - as pointed out here, by the excellent Prof Albert Bartlett http://youtube.com/watch?v=RdOk521m9WA
-it's not a question of whether we have to slow population growth or not, just how and when........... in simple terms, the sooner we do it, the less it's going to hurt- if we leave it too long, nature will choose some deeply unpleasant remedies of her own...........
For the second time on this forum I find I have to agree with Brosville.
I have 15 descendants, am 72 years old and still here. My father died at the age of 51 years of a combination of ill health caused by army service in the then India plus labour , before and after in the coal mines.
The human race (like apis melliferra lingusta)is too successful: period.

John Wilkinson

roche 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If we saw another animal doing what we have done to this planet, we would be culling it. Not just because it was too successful, but also the damage it was causing.

Somerford 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Wiltshire, Somerset, S Glos & S Oxfordshire
Hive Type
national
to quote from mr chandler : Some beekeepers routinely use potentially dangerous and illegal chemicals – including antibiotics and organophosphates – risking prosecution as well as their health and their customers’ health,

I'd like to know the citation for this accusation, especially considering the trouble anyone would get into for adultering honey in the EU.

I also take issue with his assertion that the Victorian view of managing everything is to blame for the current issues with bee health. I totally disagree - for one thing if the move to moveable frame hives is so bad, then why did the issues he claims have arisen not reared their head in the 40s/50s when there was greater use per acre of pesticides and insecticides than there is now ?

Quite possibly the importation of bees from affected areas is the real reason why varroa first appeared on these shores. CCD/neonicotiniod connection ? well that's another issue that I fear would not be solved by keeping bees in a TBH v conventional type.

The fact is that honey is the worlds first sweetner. Yes as the population has grown we have needed more products that utilise it. PC forgets that the reason TBH were so popular, and remain so, in Africa is that the major crop is wax, not honey and the fact you crush/melt the frames to extract isn't a problem.

To add fuel to the converstion on this thread, I wonder if it is a chicken and egg situation....Agriculture as depended on advances in one form or another to increase yields over the past 50 years. If we stop 'advancing' there will be a food shortage on a global scale = starvation. Just like in a honey bee colony if there are too many bees and not enough food in the winter.

so where do we go from here and is anyone brave enough to do anything about it else VM's 15 decendants (and my own 2) will be facing a far tougher world than the one we currently precide in......

S

Last edited:

Brosville 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
tbh
Number of Hives
"citation for this accusation" - I would think that the evidence of one's own eyes would be sufficient....... I think you'll find he's seen it done!
As for "why didn't it rear it's head" in the 50's?" - I'd suggest it's because of the so-called "advance" in "icides", which work at far lower concentrations, and are probably an insidious killer, rather than "stone dead on contact" as they were back then...... Research from Penn State is also pointing out the horrors of the "cocktail effect" of commonly used "icides" - in simple terms, some are rendered a thousand-fold more potent when mixed with things like fungicides, as they regularly are.......
If anyone goes back and actually reads the victorian tomes upon which most modern beekeeping is built, one cannot help but be struck by the atrocious arrogance and stupidity displayed - "man having dominion over nature" and it being his "right to exploit and control nature to his ends".........
I like the idea of a fresh look, the adoption of a little humility in the face of the wonders of nature - allowing our charges, be they bees, chickens or any other livestock to live as natural a life as possible, and to resist "interfering" as much as possible....... I'm very much in agreement with the general drift of the article - we need to step back from the chemical, intensive treadmill - ultimately it will destroy life on earth if left to it's own devices.
As a lad, I remember plumes of birds following the plough - it was a normal occurrence - watch them plough now- hardly a bird, because the land is losing it's innate "heart" and fertility thanks to a few decades of synthetic fertilisers, "icides", and a lack of proper husbandry - most land now being ruined by monoculture..........