Are your bees snowed in?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
4inch of snow on the hive this morning in now sunny Wakefield

how is everyone else fairing?

BB

very cold here but only a very light dusting of snow at the mo.

in now sunny Wakefield

There may lie a problem. If, with OMFs in particular, the bees get too much bright light (reflected from the snow, for instance) shining into the hive they are likely to be fooled into thinking it is OK for flying, and not return.....

Regards, RAB

No snow here - rarely get any...AND IT ISN'T FAIR! Goes and has tantrum in the corner...

in now sunny Wakefield

There may lie a problem. If, with OMFs in particular, the bees get too much bright light (reflected from the snow, for instance) shining into the hive they are likely to be fooled into thinking it is OK for flying, and not return.....

Regards, RAB

the hive is in the shade now so that shouldnt be a problem for me, no bees poking out yet anyway

4inch of snow on the hive this morning in now sunny Wakefield

how is everyone else fairing?

BB

only a couple of inches snow in Barnsley (good to see another beek near by!), will be checking my hives later and piling snow in front of the entrance to discourage them coming out in the sunshine!

5 to 6 inches, 0 deg C and sunny here in Chesterfield, nothing flying at the moment. Will nip out shortly and shade the entrances then perhaps some sledging with the kids :)

Last edited:
only a couple of inches snow in Barnsley (good to see another beek near by!), will be checking my hives later and piling snow in front of the entrance to discourage them coming out in the sunshine!

cap off to a neighbour

Small amount of snow about an inch or so but very very cold here.

Diss, Norfolk
Only an inch here which fell this morning, now blue sky and sun. Just popped out for a quick heft (which I don't normally bother with til Christmas. Happy to say hives are all nice and heavy.

Cazza

coudn't even see my hives today with the blizard, a whteout, cant do anything, so I think il'l just have a persnal da yand go on the pisst

That place in swistzerland whare th skee

Just a little bit here, an inch and a half. It's been sunny but cold all day. No sign of any activity though there is a reassuring low hum from all three.

About 50mm in Norwich.

Most of that which was on the roads has gone....

From Erichalfbee....It's been sunny but cold all day.

Same here.
Heard girl in post office on her cell phone say.."I didnt realise it would be cold outside"

and they want free university education???????

About a foot here, and its still snowing on and off. Forecast to be like this here for the next four days. Nice to see the snow not melting off the hive roofs though - means insulation is working somewhat.

ALIM1745.jpg

This shot is last Winter . all survived thankfully

John Wilkinson

Bit of a shock to the system over here:willy_nilly:

It was snowing lightly at 2300hrs last night, got up this morning to find 17cm of snow!! (almost 8" in old money)

Temperature at 0800 was +2C and it has staggered up to +5C so a lot has gone and the roads a clear but wet. If it freezes tonight driving will be "interesting":auto:

Latest posts

Back