Are you thinking of joining octopus for electricity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to Octopus...
Had to change tariff at the beginning of October.
October 2020 = 298 kWh over 31 days = £49.94
October 2021 = 257 kWh over 30 days = £69.27

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯😩😩😩😩😩😩

FFS! The benefits of a competitive marketplace for fuel! Same with petrol, which is now ridiculously more expensive than a year ago and because of the inclusion of ethanol gives us fewer miles per gallon.

Back to Octopus...

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯😩😩😩😩😩😩

The second one equates to 26.95p/KWh

You are being right royally screwed

Blame gas prices which have trebled in six months and roughly half our electricity is generated by gas.

My energy deal was with Shell this came to an end so PP were a better deal until they went tits up now offgem have put me back to Shell.

Before shell was E 14.087 kwh + 16.05 s/c & G 2.45 kwh + 11.51 s/c.
PP were E 18.858 kwh + 20.38 s/c & G 3.5962 kwh +20.38 s/c.
Back at shell E 21.557 kwh + 24.03s/c & G 4.053 kwh +26.11s/c.

My electric is now some 53% higher on both kwh & s/c and Gas is 65.5% kwh and 127% s/c higher, all since end of June.

The second one equates to 26.95p/KWh

You are being right royally screwed

Blame gas prices which have trebled in six months and roughly half our electricity is generated by gas.
But their electricity is from 100% renuable sources ? 😂😂😂

I was with Symbio before they recently went bust. I've been moved to Eon -Next. My monthly electricity-only bill will increase by 55% from £65pm for 480KwH per month to £105pm .:eek:

You mean they separate the electrons from gas powered plants from the electrons from renewables?

A triumph of Bull excrement over physics.
Absolutely right, we’re all being taken for fools, while being forced into an all electric world, which will be heavily “regulated“ in due course.

I didn’t realise that all of those COP private jets run on renewable electricity. They do don’t they?
Von Der Leyen recently used a private jet for a journey of less than 40 miles, according to the Telegraph.

Back to Octopus...

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯😩😩😩😩😩😩
Which tariff did you change from and to?

Have you looked at the go faster rates?
Hi Enrico,
For these tariffs I would need a smart meter - which I don’t want and currently ( no pun intended) can’t have, as there’s no mobile signal where I live. I have four solar panels producing a very small amount per day, which is either used to reduce intake from the grid, or is lost to the grid. The previous occupant here, was stitched up by the installing company, who failed to set up a feed in tariff before they went under!
We have a 14.4 kWh electric boiler for central heating, so we will be relying on our wood burners from here on - which old Thunderpants wants to outlaw next!

In would strongly suggest that in your case more of panels and a battery would be really helpful. I can't justify the expense of a battery despite having 32 panels. It would take me years to get pay back but ...... If I get a bit of spare money you never know. It's a bit like storing wood for the woodburner , a really satisfying feeling!

In would strongly suggest that in your case more of panels and a battery would be really helpful. I can't justify the expense of a battery despite having 32 panels. It would take me years to get pay back but ...... If I get a bit of spare money you never know. It's a bit like storing wood for the woodburner , a really satisfying feeling!
I’ve bought a battery - just need to fit the panels….an ex forklift 48v thing that’s as new. £300….worth it to run led lights and extractors on and cctv too

We have 18 panels and were considering a battery but have opted for an immersion heater that will use excess electricity to heat water in a separate tank (as we have a combo boiler). Should pay for itself in just a couple of years. Just waiting for the plumber to fit the tank.

We have 18 panels and were considering a battery but have opted for an immersion heater that will use excess electricity to heat water in a separate tank (as we have a combo boiler). Should pay for itself in just a couple of years. Just waiting for the plumber to fit the tank.
These work a treat. I've had one for 6 years. Make sure the tank has an immersion as near the bottom as possible - it makes a big difference

A leccy diverter to use surplus generation to heat the hot water cylinder would be a good addition.

‘Four’ panels is not a particularly useful description. They could be 150W each or maybe 300W - or more. I have a mix of 175, 250 and 300W panels. One might wonder if permission to export to the grid was actually ever applied for?

The Solic 200 is a good diverter - warranted for 10 years (if installed by an electrician) and about the only diverter that diverts without export. About the cheapest, too, but the cheaper versions come without extra bells and whistles, such as wireless signalling (who needs it anyway?). There are older (black boxed) units on ebay, but these have earlier circuit boards, are not warranted, etc - but are cheaper.

I have a diverter which pushes my excess to a storage heater in my annex. I top it up on the 5.5 p cheap rate overnight if the day is not sunny! Free or cheap heat, which is another reason why I cannot justify a battery.

I heat water by taking power via a plug in 220 to 110v transformer, this reduces power to 25% so uses about 600W which I get nearly all year if I have a timer switch it on at the right time of day. Currently from 9:15 to 3pm allowing for some winter shadows from chimney that cut power totally on an inverter channel (good case for micro inverters in future), 2 aspects = 2 channels here. 600W for up to 6 hours normally does the bulk of the heating but the boiler tops up early am for a hot shower after any evening hot depletion.
A cheap solution as all I needed was a 1kW transformer, allow a bit extra for initial transient demand! No other work...
If I need full immersion power just plug immersion direct to socket.

The funny thing is - Vacuum solar thermal gives about 90% or better conversion efficiency, compared to 20-25% for PV. So the return on area is much higher if you use solar thermal. Water heating is possibly the most energy intensive consumer in a household, is the cheapest form of solar to implement, but seems to be the least prevalent...

So as a matter of interest - I haven't looked around to see if I can find any numbers on the internet - One tends to know only the electricity consumption of ones own house...I am really interested in a straw poll to see what other peoples consumption is like.

We have solar water, and a wood-burner which also contributes to water heating and provides all the space heating. Water is topped up in the morning by an immersion element. There is an electric shower, and cooking is all electric. I work at home, and my servers run 24/7. The last weeks average usage has been 18kWh/day.

Latest posts

Back