Are you thinking of joining octopus for electricity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My meter was fitted by SSE 4 years go, then I switched to Shell energy on a much cheaper 1 year deal. They ' Shell'' said the meter was now no use for smart readings so had to give manual monthly. In July the 1 year deal ended so switched again to a cheaper deal with PurePlanet fixed for 2 years, they have no problem taking accurate readings via the smart meter. Just a case now if PP can withstand the market turmoil.

Similar here.

IF you have a Smart Meter fitted and a circuit for EV charging, the National Grid have publicly stated they will use it to switch off charging at times of peak demand.

Rant follows : don't read if you dislike rants
So if you recall it was alleged that Smart Meters were being installed to switch off consumers energy as required. Lies said the National Grid. Turns out only too true. Due to abysmal (a polite word - ruder ones are actually more relevant ) planning and stupidity, the UK is going to suffer blackouts due to electricity shortages due to renewable energy being spasmodic and all UK nuclear being closed by 2030 with no replacements under construction (two halted due concerns about Chinese involvement). And of course Natural Gas which can produce up to 50% of demand is due to be closed by 2035.

Similar here.

IF you have a Smart Meter fitted and a circuit for EV charging, the National Grid have publicly stated they will use it to switch off charging at times of peak demand.

Rant follows : don't read if you dislike rants
So if you recall it was alleged that Smart Meters were being installed to switch off consumers energy as required. Lies said the National Grid. Turns out only too true. Due to abysmal (a polite word - ruder ones are actually more relevant ) planning and stupidity, the UK is going to suffer blackouts due to electricity shortages due to renewable energy being spasmodic and all UK nuclear being closed by 2030 with no replacements under construction (two halted due concerns about Chinese involvement). And of course Natural Gas which can produce up to 50% of demand is due to be closed by 2035.
What the hell are they building up the road from me at Hinckley then? Loads of false news there methinks!

Email received from Scottish Power (who took over our energy account when Yorkshire Energy went bust):
Is this just hogwash? Or are dumb meters really soon to be obsolete?
It is unless the law has just changed - companies are obliged to OFFER you a smart meter, not compel and browbeat you into taking one.

Smart meters don't work in all houses, fortunately it doesn't at Brynmair as the walls are too thick for the gas meter to 'talk' to the Leccy meter
Thats spot on - about 3 years ago I had a company fit one, only took them a half hour. 3 hours later they took it out again and reinstalled a now slightly damaged old one ( it still is damaged), there smart technology doesn't work at all in my post code according to them. :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

It's not a question of obsessing. It's just a question of turning on washing machines and dishwashers etc at 8.30 pm. If it saves me 12p per kW and I use 25 kW on all my appliances and vehicle that is £3 a day that's over £100 a year. That's a few bottles of wine!

Too many glsses (or bottles) Sunday afternoon, Enrico. Either that or your maths is not too smart!:):):)

RAB

Edited to add that ‘technically’ it is over £100, so you are, to some degree, correct. But as my wife just said “it’s not going to get him a degree in mathematics”.

Too many glsses (or bottles) Sunday afternoon, Enrico. Either that or your maths is not too smart!:):):)

RAB

Edited to add that ‘technically’ it is over £100, so you are, to some degree, correct. But as my wife just said “it’s not going to get him a degree in mathematics”.
I guess I missed a nought off....yea! Loads of wine for Christmas

Ah well, there goes my supplier. PP have ceased trading, so higher bills for me now.

Ah well, there goes my supplier. PP have ceased trading, so higher bills for me now.
Just saw that. A good company too. Their explanation was so true, they cannot sell electricity for the price cap and buy it in at four times that and hope to keep their heads above water! At least your new company can't put you on a tariff higher than the price cap though so ironically you could be worse off! You could be having to pay the real price!!!!. Best of luck

No one coming to and of a deal or like me finding their supplier has gone under will find a good deal. Such as it is yet not cold enough for the heating to go on but the open fire has been lit 3 or 4 times.

My wife is away for over a week. That will mean my energy bill will be low for a whole week! Time for long johns to be dug out, an extra jumper (and warm slippers indoors).

It’s like beekeeping - more insulation, less heat required. Oh, and the attic door will not be left open, either.🙂

Makes you wonder how they think there parents or grand parents survived with colder winters pre 70's with no central heating. Albeit the simple coal Rondo boiler that used to sit in the kitchen and the open fires in the dining/living room used to make a room toasty.

Last edited:
I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom windows and mum used to light the gas oven in the kitchen and leave its door open when my sister and I got up in the morning. Perhaps that's why I like to be able to go round the house in a t shirt in winter ....

I can remember ice on the inside of the bedroom windows and mum used to light the gas oven in the kitchen and leave its door open when my sister and I got up in the morning. Perhaps that's why I like to be able to go round the house in a t shirt in winter ....
I too remember the ice inside. Then it was downstairs to a paraffin stove in the scullery....
Ah the good old days!

Lighting the coal fire was my job first thing in the morning with the gas poker that was plumbed in next to it. Back boiler for hot water that used to boil every now and again. Then you used to have to stick your arm up the chimney with the fire going to close the back boiler off! Those really were the days!

Makes you wonder how they think there parents or grand parents survived with colder winters pre 70's with no central heating.
Yes, I remember my grandfather telling me how toasty they all were at night, but then again, they lived in two cellar rooms so it was much easier to heat, and it was pretty snug with all six kids in one bed. It got a bit more luxurious when his father died of TB in June 1923 - at least then, all the girls could share a bed with their mother and baby Christeira (Born on Christmas day that year) had a whole dresser drawer to herself.

Last edited:
Makes you wonder how they think there parents or grand parents survived with colder winters pre 70's with no central heating. Albeit the simple coal Rondo boiler that used to sit in the kitchen and the open fires in the dining/living room used to make a room toasty.

I was brought up in the country from age 11 to 17 outside Macduff on the Moray Firth.

First winter 1959 -15C, 3 meters snowdrifts outside back door. 1963 only 2 meters but stayed two months
Coal Rayburn in kitchen, coal fire in lounge ,ice inside of windows ,paraffin heater in bathroom to prevent pipes freezing.

-20C one winter.

Hot water bottles to bed. Freezing lino on floors.

Parents moved to near Banchory - inland. Granite house. Freezing nights 3 months on the trot.
Wood and coal fires ,

LOTS of warm clothes.

Seen -16C for a week of nights. 20010-1 and 2011- 2012 living here. Long johns, thermals lots of layers.

Still alive and healthy. Exercise essential in cold weather or metabolism slows down and hypothermia.

Back to Octopus...
Had to change tariff at the beginning of October.
October 2020 = 298 kWh over 31 days = £49.94
October 2021 = 257 kWh over 30 days = £69.27

🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯🤯😩😩😩😩😩😩

Latest posts

Back