Are you thinking of joining octopus for electricity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know this is blatant but this is an eight day only offer. If you use the following code to join octopus you get £100.
This is the company that paid me o use electricity during lockdown. Their agile rates have half hour varying rates. They have fixed rates and tracker rates for electricity and gas.they are totally green.
If you were thinking of switching then for £100 with no exit fee it seems like now is a good time!!!
Please use this code and I get £50 too!.

share.octopus.energy/mauve-camel-415

I'm with bulb. Similar recruiting incentive scheme. Oh how I long for the days when electricity bills were simple, low and all the same published rate per unit in the area boards price list.

I'm with bulb. Similar recruiting incentive scheme. Oh how I long for the days when electricity bills were simple, low and all the same published rate per unit in the area boards price list.
With agile the rate changes every half hour! You get the rates the day before and can chose to use your electricity when it is cheapest! I think there is a phone app with bulb now that shows you half hour useage so you can see just how much you would benefit

Im with Eon who seem to be running a con / strong arm tactic campaign with their customers contacting them by multiple means and suggesting "It's the Law" for the customer to to use a so-called smart meter. Total lies and hogwash of course - the law says they must offer the facility, the customer has a choice. I threw their suggestivly intimidatory letter in the recycle sack and when I told the telephone cold caller "NO" and the reasons "why not" they seemed rather surprised.

I've been with Tonik Energy about 6 months and had notification a couple of days ago (from MSE not from Tonik) to say they've gone bust.
Notice was a bit vague as to whether I can just switch or have to wait for the company which takes over the contract. I'll have a look at that link. 👍

Im with Eon who seem to be running a con / strong arm tactic campaign with their customers contacting them by multiple means and suggesting "It's the Law" for the customer to to use a so-called smart meter. Total lies and hogwash of course - the law says they must offer the facility, the customer has a choice. I threw their suggestivly intimidatory letter in the recycle sack and when I told the telephone cold caller "NO" and the reasons "why not" they seemed rather surprised.
I had that. They were arranging a date to come and fit the meter, I Took the phone off my wife and told the caller I was happy with the one I had. He went on to tell me it was 'the law' and I told him 'no it ain't' that's a pack of lies, the silence was quite funny.

Smart meters are not smart enough for me. Utter waste of money for which the customer pays one way or the other.

I had that. They were arranging a date to come and fit the meter, I Took the phone off my wife and told the caller I was happy with the one I had. He went on to tell me it was 'the law' and I told him 'no it ain't' that's a pack of lies, the silence was quite funny.
How is it that national companies get away with this? I dumped Lloyds Bank years ago for telling me on the phone that I must have a business a/c (for which I' be charged of course) because of instructions from the government. Untrue. No doubt on the phone so there was no record in writing of what they told me.
- And don't even get me started on the stipulations and unnegotiable premiums and promises of insurance companies in relation to what they want to actually pay when you come to claim. How is that even legal?
rant over...

Smart meters have the ability to remotely shut off the supply. Currently this facility is not used but theres a high risk of network load reduction needs employing the remote shut off to cut demand at high load periods.
It gets studiously ignored by the politicians and anyone mentioning it is consigned to the tinfoil hat brigade. We'll see 😎

So........ I have been with Ovo for some time and they did install a smart meter. There are cheaper tariffs out there but I've been put off because there are reports that my smart meter would be incompatible with another supplier. You get the gist here? You can see I have no idea what I'm talking about (On this occasion :D )
So....I can just change supplier and abandon the smart meter ?

So........ I have been with Ovo for some time and they did install a smart meter. There are cheaper tariffs out there but I've been put off because there are reports that my smart meter would be incompatible with another supplier. You get the gist here? You can see I have no idea what I'm talking about (On this occasion :D )
So....I can just change supplier and abandon the smart meter ?
If it is an early smets 1 meter it may be incompatible but if it is a later smets2 meter then it will work with any company. Google your meter or send me a photo and I will look into it for you. But.....yes you can just change. The meter makes no difference at all except for one tariff and that is octopus agile, there are other octopus tarrifs but that one needs your meter to send in half hour readings so it has to be the later version. It has to be worth changing to get £100 into your account with no exit fee! 😂

The future intended purpose of the smart meter is to enable the electricity supplier to turn off your supply at will. Either altogether or for particular activities e.g. electric car charging, central heating or washing machines / tumble dryers etc. This is to reduce demand at peak times and to force people to perform certain activities at night when there is less demand. If there is a flat calm and so no wind power generation you will have no supply once your solar power units cease to provide energy. In future the smart meter will give absolute control of your energy use to the generator not you. That is why they want to ban gas central heating - the gas supply cannot be turned off for safety reasons.

Last edited:
If it is an early smets 1 meter it may be incompatible but if it is a later smets2 meter then it will work with any company. Google your meter or send me a photo and I will look into it for you. But.....yes you can just change. The meter makes no difference at all except for one tariff and that is octopus agile, there are other octopus tarrifs but that one needs your meter to send in half hour readings so it has to be the later version. It has to be worth changing to get £100 into your account with no exit fee! 😂
Enrico. I will get back to you. Xx

with Octopus but no phone signal, thus (happily) no smart meter.

SWMBO kept nagging about a smart meter years ago - must have been about the time my hearing aid was playing up 😁 but lately she has been a bit quiet about it,and I didn't even have to explain to her that smart meters wouldn't work in Brynmair as the walls between the gas and electricity meters are too thick for them to be able to communicate with each other :spy:

Nothing wrong with a smart meter. I have had one for a year and with octopus agile I have saved £400 so far. In fact my bill is less and I charge 2 EV’s as well. If you pay your bills you are not going to be cut off!

Latest posts

Back