Are you thinking of joining octopus for electricity?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had an email my energy costs are going up a again from April and expected to be at least another 1/3 higher then it is currently.

That's a pain. We'll get the same when our fixed rate ends in October.

Don't lock into a new fixed rate now (it doesn't sound like you are though, otherwise you would have said 100% rather than 1/3rd)

Smart meters have the ability to remotely shut off the supply. Currently this facility is not used but theres a high risk of network load reduction needs employing the remote shut off to cut demand at high load periods.
It gets studiously ignored by the politicians and anyone mentioning it is consigned to the tinfoil hat brigade. We'll see 😎

It is FACTUAL and the National Grid issued proposals recently to do it (the same National Grid which in writing in 2020 said there was lots of capacity for the future and no need for concern. They are caber users.)

Well I am still sitting pretty at the moment. Till September that is!

Any one on a fix due to end will likely be put on to a std variable, afaics from any comparison site there ae no deals or transfers available.

Lots of trees down around me so I shall be going out on my bike and trailer along the bridleways and tracks with my saw and chain saw to collect logs for drying, the pen fire will get used a lot more for next winter.

The volatility in the market likely means no fixed deals of for a long time and if any were to become available they will be long fix's likely but I doubt any will surface for a year or so then one might be silly fixing should events calm down.

Last week I took out my Nest thermostat and installed a Tado controller and their thermostatic radiator valves. They allow you to set a temperature for each radiator / room. So in a traditional system all radiators are on or off, with this you can set individual temperatures to all each room, and the boiler only heats that room. In the 1st week it's been running on all radiators according to my Octopus app my Gas usage is down by 22%. With the rising prices and Putin's latest larks, it will pay for itself in a month or so.

I have thermostatic valves on all rads and each one is adjusted for each room manually, when heating is on I try and keep each room tepid to luke warm to stop cold sink and draughts from room to room via convection.
We have no wall insulation as I believe it to be detrimental to houses with older cavity walls of 60+ years of age as they can bring in damp causing mould and condensation issues which also are detrimental to ones health.
Raised Boarded loft floor has 400mm of insulation under the central floor area & 500 - 600mm on the 1.5m at the edges/eaves so heat loss is minimised, heating is only on for up to 3- 4 hours pm and 2 hrs early am, house tends to stay pretty comfy during most part of the day. I'm uncomfortable with central heating temps to high as my asthma kicks in so main stat in hall is on 15 or 16c only, once heating is off downstairs it is approx just that +/- 1c and upstairs is a nice 18- 20c depending on the room.

If it does get chilly wood goes on the open fire in the living room.
Bills for most will get silly once any fixed tariff ends.

Last edited:
My shell tariffs are due to rise for Elec 29.48p kw/h & 41.65p SC , Gas 7.13p kw/h & 27.22p SC. There are no other energy deals about form any comparison site and tbh one wouldn't be better off if one could change.

Those of us with oil-fired heating have had silly bills forever :(

I am having serious thoughts about putting a shedload more insulation in our loft though. It might be expensive, but at least I'll only pay the bill once.

James

My shell tariffs are due to rise for Elec 29.48p kw/h & 41.65p SC , Gas 7.13p kw/h & 27.22p SC. There are no other energy deals about form any comparison site and tbh one wouldn't be better off if one could change.

I am a chartist and last year around AUgust I looked at the UK gas price chart and blanched. I am with EDF and signed a three year contract fixed price deal 20p/3.9p per KWH Electricity/Gas. (My Fixed Price deal was due to end October.. no penalty costs). UK Gas prices - different and higher than Europe as we have no storage - have risen 50% since invasion but are falling from their peak as I write.

Wheat and soya prices are skyrocketting. Ukraine plus Russia account for 30% of world supply. China needs food and Russia has a new supply pact. (Hence partially why Ukraine was invaded) Going to stock up on flour , cereals and rice.

Latest posts

Back