Are these honeybees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbobby

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5+
I have been asked to remove a bees nest from a wooden garden cabin. Attached are pictures of the "bees" but I am a bit unsure whether they are actually honeybees as these gals are fractionally smaller, have blunter abdomens and are hairier my own buzzers . Also they do not appear to be bringing any pollen in. They are entering the cabin through a small pencil diameter hole in the eaves and are reasonably plentiful in numbers. I have looked for pictures of other bee types on the web but there is nothing similar. Before I get my smoker and saw out can anyone confirm whether these are indeed Apis Mellifera ? And yes I have noticed that one appears to have a varroa mite and another DWV. Any guidance would be very much appreciated

Looks very much like a Red Mason Bee (Osmia rufa).

A harmless friend in the garden despite the appearance that they have dug holes in your wall/woodwork. The wall will have to be in a poor condition or already have holes in it to be of interest to these fellas.

We have them from time to time and are perfectly happy to leave them bee.

:iagree: Red Mason bee.

you might see them bringing in bits of greenery to use as a "stopper" between the eggs they have laid.

Totally harmless.

These bees are lovely, perhaps your cabin owner could learn to appreciate them and live along side rather than have them removed.

Last edited:
solitary bee?

Thanks guys
Yes, from the photos they are definitely red mason bees and I have emailed the cabin owner with some positive links about this bee in an attempt to persuade her that they are harmless and to leave them alone. The strange thing is that although the bees are solitary, when I visited the site at midday on Thursday there were at least 50 bees flying around and trying to get into the nest entrance!

Thanks guys
... The strange thing is that although the bees are solitary, when I visited the site at midday on Thursday there were at least 50 bees flying around and trying to get into the nest entrance!

I think this is because they tend to like the same sites, so appear to live together (using same entrance/exit) but it's an illusion: life-cycle wise are solitary.

a couple of these are currently buzzing around my allotment shed door and going into old, unused screw holes.

a couple of these are currently buzzing around my allotment shed door and going into old, unused screw holes.

They like these log cabins which are made of timber which is a little like tongue and groove - as it creates small gaps when they push together. Provided they can get at the endgrain (e.g through where the windows are) they all appear to go in the same enterance, but inside they have their own "tubes" which they stock up. Not a very good description I realise but can't think of a better way to put it!

Definately Red Mason Bees.

Adam

I'm glad I read this thread. A friend of mine has bees going under their tiles on their roof and asked me if I wanted them. I had a look and I thought the bees looked a little small. I was gong to set up a bate hive but I wont bother now.

I've seen a few of these buzzzing arround the garden & then a coulpe of them dead outside our garden hive.
I take it honey bees don't appeciate them buzzing arround the hive??

Latest posts

Back