Are these gloves worth getting?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lol, probably not then....what am I thinking of then? Read it on the sticky about gloves.....I get my words muddled in my head sometimes lol, do it alllllllll the time.

I liked the fact you could lift the fore finger and thumb to use but still be protected on your other fingers. Better not then lol. We use marigolds and I'm not sure I like them, a bit thin for my liking, but want to be able to feel what I'm doing. Looking for something else.

Oooooo, what if I never use them for anything but bee keeping? Would they still attract bees?

Last edited:
I use the blue nitrile gloves from www.justgloves.co.uk they are very good. I wear two pairs and usually dispose of the outer ones, but I can wash them while on and dry and reuse - I blow in them to check there are no holes.. I havn't been stung at all on the hands since using these and they enable me to do everything - still a problem when they get sticky, but I sometimes pop down to a bowl and wash my hands with gloves on and then go back. Hope this helps!

I use the blue nitrile gloves from www.justgloves.co.uk they are very good. I wear two pairs and usually dispose of the outer ones, but I can wash them while on and dry and reuse - I blow in them to check there are no holes.. I havn't been stung at all on the hands since using these and they enable me to do everything - still a problem when they get sticky, but I sometimes pop down to a bowl and wash my hands with gloves on and then go back. Hope this helps!

Nitrile....that's it....the n's are the same lol, Thanks Louise. I will have a look. We were supposed to have been supplied with appropriate gloves, and the marigolds appeared :(

We have one pair of nitrile...they seem to almost suck water out of your hands leaving it in pools in the fingers so wouldn't buy more. Some of the supermarkets do washing up gloves with extra tight finger bits (and mine are quite broad) so these fit better for handling than standard and are strong - eg. S'bury do rather unfetching pink ones. They aren't sweat traps and reduce stings reasonably.

And another reason to take a water spray...to hose off the sticky bits. Most hand stings I've had have been a panic reaction after a bee has stuck to the glove and panicked. Doesn't happen anymore.

Last edited:
So do the marigolds stop stings then? I wouldn't have thought them thick enough. Is the sting sharp enough to get through?

I got Dermaluxe gloves from Lakeland (on internet) £2:39 - and 3 for 2-so get 15 pay for 10 - lasts me a year - great for bee keeping as they are not thick but stings dont seem to penetrate- and they are lined with moisturiser and hypo allergenic- better than marigold but still not as clumsy as 'bee keeper' gloves. No sweat!

Mostly they just leave the sting in the rubber kaz but occasionally you feel it get through the glove. It doesn`t hurt at the time it`s just a little itchy the following morning.

I am sure I will find all this out some day lol, later rather than sooner please :D

Mostly they just leave the sting in the rubber kaz but occasionally you feel it get through the glove. It doesn`t hurt at the time it`s just a little itchy the following morning.
:iagree:
Exactly what I was going to say. Was using expensive leather ones, switched to marigolds, much better.

So I can relax a bit lol, saying that, I always feel very safe with these bees. They are nice to me because they know they are my first and I promised not to smoke them if they didn't sting me. The deal has held so far :D I know this will change though, bound to at some point, so I am enjoying it while it lasts, just so that when they do get a strop on, my hands will be safe from attacks.

They look really good MM. I was speaking with one of the other people who are part of the project today, talking about getting my own equipment, and she made a good point that we paid £1000 for the bees and all the equipment to go with it, so I shouldn't have to buy my own. I'm going to wait and see what turns up, if it gets to the point where I need my own, then I'll probably try these....they look really good.

Or if I get bees of my own, which is highly likely as this beekeeping lark seems really addictive lol

Latest posts

Back