Are these beekeepers out of order?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'd like peoples' opinions on this.

A friend of mine has kept his bees on a pick your own farm for a few years.

He's got a good deal where the farm shop buys all his honey and they always sell out.

Autumn last year a local semi commercial beekeeper ask if he could his bees on the farm and was told they already had a beekeeper.

This year he put 15 hives on a neighbours site with the entrances essentially poking through the fence into the farmer's fruit fields.

My friends honey crop has plummeted and he's been running into robbing.

Personally, I think they are being cheeky feckers and are out of order.

Or am I too sensitive?

Horses for courses!
Found out by accident that one of my out apiaries was approx 30m from a commercial beepeekers 20+ hives. Always get a bumper harvest and a least 2 swarms / yr in the bait hives. I'm not complaining

I think if it was me I would be annoyed also it's a bit rude ... But depends if he wants to confront it

I think if it was me I would be annoyed also it's a bit rude ... But depends if he wants to confront it

He's tried talking to them but they won't even discuss it.

If the hive fronts are as close to the fence as it seems from your description I'd be tempted, when the wind was in the right direction, spray the fence line, on your side with a good insecticide (not saying I would but tempted)
Wingy

If the hive fronts are as close to the fence as it seems from your description I'd be tempted, when the wind was in the right direction, spray the fence line, on your side with a good insecticide (not saying I would but tempted)
Wingy
That is not a very nice thing to do , would you be happy if someone sprayed your hives with insecticide.

On the hive entrances facing the fence i can't see it making much difference as the bees will still find the forage no matter which way they are facing, the way i would combat the problem is try and source the most prolific Queens you can find and get your own colonies bursting at the seems with bees, that way with more bees to forage means more stores getting brought in.

That is not a very nice thing to do , would you be happy if someone sprayed your hives with insecticide.

On the hive entrances facing the fence i can't see it making much difference as the bees will still find the forage no matter which way they are facing, the way i would combat the problem is try and source the most prolific Queens you can find and get your own colonies bursting at the seems with bees, that way with more bees to forage means more stores getting brought in.

As I said (not that I would) it's not fair on the bees as it's not their fault just their keeper seems a bit of an A-hole. From the OP it seems his friend has lost a considerable harvest as a direct result and from the description of robbing I'd guess the OP's friend only has a few hives. Bees are good it's just people who P me off

Wingy

That'd be a pretty horrible thing to do. It's not as if the bees had a choice where they were placed!
Poor show from whoever put them there though

. . . I'd be tempted, when the wind was in the right direction, spray the fence line, on your side with a good insecticide
Wingy

That's just wrong, you'd get cross-contamination for sure too.

How about position a liberal amount of horse manure close to / outside the offending hives just before he's due to inspect? :reddevil:

That's just wrong, you'd get cross-contamination for sure too.

How about position a liberal amount of horse manure close to / outside the offending hives just before he's due to inspect? :reddevil:

Or buckets of 1:1 sugar syrup to feed his bees then his honey would not be up to scratch

I'd like peoples' opinions on this.

A friend of mine has kept his bees on a pick your own farm for a few years.

He's got a good deal where the farm shop buys all his honey and they always sell out.

Autumn last year a local semi commercial beekeeper ask if he could his bees on the farm and was told they already had a beekeeper.

This year he put 15 hives on a neighbours site with the entrances essentially poking through the fence into the farmer's fruit fields.

My friends honey crop has plummeted and he's been running into robbing.

Personally, I think they are being cheeky feckers and are out of order.

Or am I too sensitive?

And look at this forum: the number of people in the South of England complaining about a poor harvest, lousy weather etc..

And your friend blames: a fellow beekeeper!!!!!!!!

And look at this forum: the number of people in the South of England complaining about a poor harvest, lousy weather etc..

And your friend blames: a fellow beekeeper!!!!!!!!

Base on the fact 15 hives were placed 100 yards away and they are currently robbing his hives.

Or do you think that would have no impact?

Wingy

That is a disgraceful thought. Not to mention an illegal act. You should be ashamed of yourself.

As I said (not that I would) it's not fair on the bees as it's not their fault just their keeper seems a bit of an A-hole. From the OP it seems his friend has lost a considerable harvest as a direct result and from the description of robbing I'd guess the OP's friend only has a few hives. Bees are good it's just people who P me off

How can he be sure its as a result of either or both of those things? It could equally be due to poor weather or bad beekeeping.

Or buckets of 1:1 sugar syrup to feed his bees then his honey would not be up to scratch

Now that is far better –-lateral thinking and well within the law.

For heaven's sake, you lot!
Its tough and not fair but if he has the landowners permission ..........

He wouldn't do anything to be bees. The other guy just appears to be that sort of obnoxious person you run into sometimes.

Latest posts

Back