Are my bees making cornflakes?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + 3 nuc
Hi All,

Finally managed to check our Woodland Trust apiary, all okay with BAAS with very few drone broad. 4 full + 2 nucs.

However found this in the strongest colony but not in any of the others, between broad and a half as if they were sealing the bottom of the broad nest, not come across it before.
Looks like cornflakes but pliable and loads of it.There was also some across the drawn comb as if they either tried to build comb with it or wiped their feet as they tramped across the comb.
The WT have been felling some old conifers maybe that's it?
Also interesting are the number of varroa embedded in it, as they were treated?

Russell

PICT0004.MRW.jpg
PICT0007.MRW.jpg

Is that varroa mites i can see as well that have come to a sticky end?
Hard to see in such a small pic.

Hi Russel,
I am only a newbie and sometimes photography is very deceptive, but that looks like brace comb to me? Also, I would check my varroa drop again if I were you just to be on the safe side!

MattK; Lol I wish too, penny just to give some scale.

All the propolis I've come across before as been like rock whereas this is like play doh?

Tim1606; I could have the strain of bees we've all been looking for but mine trap varroa in propolis rather than don't kick them out !

Beeno; brace comb is honey comb shape this is more like cornflakes?

I'm sure they know best, as I said there's been some tree felling nearby and maybe they couldn't resist but it was only in the one hive furthest from the felled trees.

Will be back Saturday to check up as the goats on site jump the fence so need to make it goat proof?

Russell

Hi Russel,
You have got to sort out the flakes from the corn!

Last year one of my hives invented brace-o-prop, a cunning new recipe consisting of a mixture of wax and propolis. At last, an end to beekeeper-taking-frames-out misery. I believe your bees may be in breach of patent, and will be recieving a letter from my bees' solicitor.

Interestingly, they seemed to do it for a bit, then stop.

Last year one of my hives invented brace-o-prop, a cunning new recipe consisting of a mixture of wax and propolis. At last, an end to beekeeper-taking-frames-out misery. I believe your bees may be in breach of patent, and will be recieving a letter from my bees' solicitor.

Looks as if it's spreading north from Dorset, how far can drones fly?

Do you think Jordans & Ryvita might also be interested as mine contains extra protein?

Russell

Looks as if it's spreading north from Dorset, how far can drones fly?

Do you think Jordans & Ryvita might also be interested as mine contains extra protein?

Russell

No good for vegetarians, though

Unless they are trying to help out the Weetabix factory which is short of raw materials..

Presumably the source of materials for the propolis runs dry. Cut wounds on trees stop bleeding sooner or later. Cut limbs dry out.

Presumably the source of materials for the propolis runs dry. Cut wounds on trees stop bleeding sooner or later. Cut limbs dry out.

Good theory, but they were using it more like brace comb- great gobs of it gluing everything together. More like wax with added propolis than propolis with added wax.

Latest posts

Back