Are mice a danger to a colony in Spring/Summer?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Last couple of visits to hive, I’ve noticed what looks to be mouse droppings on the inspection board. There is no sign of disturbance at entrance though (although I have reduced entrance size just to be sure).

I was thinking they might be attracted to the debris on the inspection board?

Are mice a danger to hives this time of year? Would they be looking to get inside?

Last couple of visits to hive, I’ve noticed what looks to be mouse droppings on the inspection board. There is no sign of disturbance at entrance though (although I have reduced entrance size just to be sure).

Are mice a danger to hives this time of year? Would they be looking to get inside?

Never had any issues with mice this time of year although once a couple of years ago I suspect a little rat damage in mid autumn.

My entrances would allow a mouse in at this time of year, but never had a problem yet. If it is a brave hungry mouse it might give it a try, but bees would soon see it off. Different matter when they are clustered in winter though

Pretend your naked hand is a mouse and put it in the entrance to a hive...now you know how a mouse is going to feel after about three seconds.

I found a mouse on one of my hive landing boards a while ago. It was barely able to walk after the bees had taught it a lesson.

Latest posts

Back