Are honeybees safe with the use of endosulfan?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As bees form a very important part in farming, please help me draw a factual conclusion about endosulfan and its impact on honey bees.

Dreadfully toxic, rightly banned or being phased out in most parts of the world - should never be used under any circumstances! - "Because of its threats to the environment, a global ban on the use and manufacture of endosulfan is being considered under the Stockholm Convention"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endosulfan

I have gone through the wikipedia page, it jus says that endosulfan is moderately hazardous to honeybees.

Can you share any reports of honeybee deaths due to endosulfan?

I'll stick my neck out here - some Googling suggests you're probably connected with websites trying to "whitewash" the disgusting muck - probably funded by it's Indian manufacturers......

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands" - by that criteria, you sir are a scoundrel, trying to tout one of the most dangerous substances ever unleashed on the environment, presumably for profit........

As a writer this is my new subject of research. I have been resarching the effects of this molecule on various aspects related to farming.

Since this is a beekeeping forum, I thought have a discussion and getting some more facts about the molecule.

The EJF article cannot be downloaded while the endosulfan victims site does not contain any information about endosulfan's effects on honeybees.

I'll stick my neck out here - some Googling suggests you're probably connected with websites trying to "whitewash" the disgusting muck - probably funded by it's Indian manufacturers......

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands" - by that criteria, you sir are a scoundrel, trying to tout one of the most dangerous substances ever unleashed on the environment, presumably for profit........

Oh really! please share your searches with me too. I would love to check my popularity online for some god known reasons.

I am here for a discussion which is based on facts. And sorry to say but the information you have shared with me till now are all opinion based information nowhere giving me clearity about the topic I am here to discuss about. should I believe that you have no knowledge about it?
I would not want to draw a conclusion about anything based on an opinion.

Decline in number of pollinators reduces yield potential of crops

Bees die the day after pesticide application

Decline in number of feral and hived colonies

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Indiscriminate use of pesticides has resulted in the decline of honeybee population in Idukki and Kasaragod districts, studies show.

S. Devanesan, Professor and Principal Scientist, All India Co-ordinated Research Project (AICRP) on Honeybees and Pollinators, College of Agriculture of Kerala Agricultural University, Vellayani, said indiscriminate use of pesticides caused disappearance of pollinators, especially honeybees. This, in turn, caused decline in yield potential of cardamom in Idukki district.

He said the scientists of AICRP who had visited Idukki to study the diversity of honeybees had found that Endosulfan had been used there under a different trade name. The day after the application of the pesticide, bees had showed symptoms of poisoning and died.

“The bees visited the flowers and returned near to the beehive but were unable to direct their flight to the hive entrance. The poisoned bees showed decreased aggressiveness and the paralysed bees crawled on nearby objects, resulting in reduced food storage and brood rearing and decline in population in the colony,” Dr. Devanesan said.

A decline in the number of feral colonies of honeybees as well as hived colonies had been observed in the areas. The observations in the plantations had revealed a drastic reduction in the fruit set of cardamom capsules in the areas where the pesticide use was high, he said.

Important role

Honeybees play an important role in pollinating flowering plants. They are the major pollinators in cardamom, coffee, coconut, cashew, many vegetables like cucurbits and leguminous plants including peas and beans. Honeybees have many qualities which help them to be a good pollinator, and all bee species are pollinators.

Koragas affected

A study by Thanal, a public interest research, advocacy, education and action trust here, showed that honeybees had been affected and almost wiped out in the Endosufan-sprayed areas of Kasaragod district. It affected the tribal community of Koragas, most of whom used to collect honey from the forests, and traditional organised beekeepers. Many keepers had witnessed mass kill of bees following spraying of Endosulfan by the State-owned Plantation Corporation of Kerala.

A survey and analysis conducted by M. Lakshmi Narasimhan and C. Jayakumar of Thanal among 31 beekeepers showed that the annual production of honey by beekeepers had been 12,015 kg before aerial spraying of Endosulfan started.

That had come down to 68.5 kg in mid-'80s when the spraying had been going on. After the ban on aerial spraying, the production rose marginally to 133 kg. Though half of the beekeepers had resumed operations after the spraying was discontinued, production failed to pick up proportionally.

Decline in production

In the case of 14 members of honey collecting Koraga tribe surveyed, the availability of forest honey had come down from 3,375 kg annually before Endosulfan spraying to 938 kg during Endosulfan spray. The financial loss calculated just for 45 beekeepers and collectors at the same production level as in 1970s but at prices of 2008 is estimated to be Rs.29 lakh annually. If that is projected for the whole of affected areas in the district, the financial loss could run into several crores of rupees, they observed.

The study indicated that the disappearance of bees had affected yield from areca nut trees in the area. Farmers complained that yield had gone down by half after the spraying had stared.
http://www.hindu.com/2011/01/23/stories/2011012358860400.htm

Google... Endosulfan kills honey bee's,and there is quite a lot about the subject.

Thanks for copy pasting the article.

If you understand the difference between facts and opinions, I would not consider your media article. Since this topic is related to millions of lives, I would not want to go by a opinion driven study. No where falsifying the story, but looking out for some scientific aspects to the issue.

Also please come out of Kerala and tell me more.

Also please come out of Kerala and tell me more.

I am not in Kerala,i am in Somerset..UK.

I would think that nearly every country banning its use,and calls for a world wide ban, because of the harm it does, would kind of tell you something.

It's all to do with attempts to foist off a very nasty and dangerous toxin on a gullible world, and more to do with profits than sense - here's a quote from one of the "whitewash" sites - "the ban of the pesticide is being fanned so aggressively by European countries to undermine India’s economic growth in the larger context, and also to benefit Europe-based patented pesticide manufacturers"

- it's "out of patent" so anyone can make it, trouble is, the world knows how dangerous it is!

Yes it surely does..but I see more of an public opinion than a scientific one. I have not come across any cases like the ones in Kerala anywhere else in the world. Have you? Please tell me.

Europe used this pesticide for more than 50 years while India used it for 30 years i which Kerala while was a user, used point percent of the total usage in the country. So why don't I see any problems in Europe or in other parts of India?

And to answer my question about Endosulfan effects on honey bees..your discussion was not fruitful though but I have found a study showing Endosulfan to be safe on honeybees.

Well!! this gives my doubt more stronger. Why don't you dig into some more facts...google is not god. It can even mislead you at times.
Beware!

Hang on a cotton picking minute! Organochlorines as a class of pesticides are know to be particularly dangerous, and are rightfully being phased out - you are trying to spread the lie that in some way it is positively beneficial for bees (and thence presumably should be added to one's cornflakes...) - which is utter tosh - it is a "pesticide" - the clue is "icide" - it kills things - if it's "harmless" to bees as you erroneously suggest, then it'll be no bally good for it's prime use - killing insects..........

You busily slag off the internet, yet are yourself spamming fora in an attempt to "fiddle" the Google ratings in such a way as to suggest this evil muck is positively wholesome - you're even stupid enough to have tried the same tactic on a natural beekeeping forum..... on yer bike, we're wise to you!

Hey listen why do you have such a shallow approach to things?

I am here to get my facts clear. You are no way helping me in getting the right information instead blaming me as a lobby!

You seem to be too biased with the issue. Do you really have some points to prove?

I'm not going to waste any more time banging my head against your brick wall - you are trying to whitewash dangerous rubbish for presumably commercial purposes - the very worst sort of trolling spammer!

Hang on a cotton picking minute! Organochlorines as a class of pesticides are know to be particularly dangerous, and are rightfully being phased out - you are trying to spread the lie that in some way it is positively beneficial for bees (and thence presumably should be added to one's cornflakes...) - which is utter tosh - it is a "pesticide" - the clue is "icide" - it kills things - if it's "harmless" to bees as you erroneously suggest, then it'll be no bally good for it's prime use - killing insects..........

You busily slag off the internet, yet are yourself spamming fora in an attempt to "fiddle" the Google ratings in such a way as to suggest this evil muck is positively wholesome - you're even stupid enough to have tried the same tactic on a natural beekeeping forum..... on yer bike, we're wise to you!

Listen bro..I simply feel like laughing at your pea sized brains. Endosulfan is not an organochlorine. WHO has classified it as a Sulfurous ester of a chlorinated cyclic diol.

If you realy wanna bully someone, atleast make sure you speak the right thing dodo.

He's a crook trying to fiddle Google!

Back