Are bees more defensive when raising queen cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Hi, I looked at a couple of hives today and found the expected queen cells, nuced both queens, reduced the QCs to 1 and closed. Both colonies were rather defensive - lots of veil-bashers, quite a few stings (until I put gloves on, a couple through my thin suit, and followed me down the garden. They haven't been like this previously!

Is it because they are raising cells?

Another possibility is my suit had stings from my last, rather difficult, intervention, trying to find an elusive queen. Supporting this is that the 2nd hive didn't seem too bad initially.

Suit is in the wash!

I asked a similar question the other day, and got this answer from a lot of posters. Some are still going through the queenless/ or waiting to emerge stage and are really followy for ages, and in your face, though don't seem too aggresive.
Interestingly one which had a sealed cell last week, and were right grouches, a quick check on that one frame today, she had emerged, so closed up, and leaving alone for three weeks , but they were calm as anything, so pleased. Hopefully this is the beginning of me putting right my wrongs I have inflicted on my poor bees.

I have not noticed such. There are so many reasons, why the hive could be angry, and mostly not.

Last edited:
I asked a similar question the other day, and got this answer from a lot of posters. Some are still going through the queenless/ or waiting to emerge stage and are really followy for ages, and in your face, though don't seem too aggresive.
Interestingly one which had a sealed cell last week, and were right grouches, a quick check on that one frame today, she had emerged, so closed up, and leaving alone for three weeks , but they were calm as anything, so pleased. Hopefully this is the beginning of me putting right my wrongs I have inflicted on my poor bees.
I have had a similar experience. Seem to have calmed down now queen has emerged!

Another 2 AS and that takes it to 100% this year. Now completely out of equipment, energy and enthusiasm 😞. How quickly do you get away with reuniting? And do you always replace the newest queen? I had some lovely tempered queens and they are only last season's

I was thinking of once they have completed a brood cycle or two, though waiting longer gives more opportunity to assess the new queen's offspring's behaviour.

Reactions: Kaz
I was thinking of once they have completed a brood cycle or two, though waiting longer gives more opportunity to assess the new queen's offspring's behaviour.
Yes it depends whether you want to keep the old queen or no. I want to keep mine so far.

Another 2 AS and that takes it to 100% this year. Now completely out of equipment, energy and enthusiasm 😞. How quickly do you get away with reuniting? And do you always replace the newest queen? I had some lovely tempered queens and they are only last season's

exactly the same here all 21 colonies have had a go at swarming already this season & 2/3 were 2021 Q’s. Got hardly any kit left and would have run out of space but for having access to 3 farm sites. Will be starting to reunite shortly 2020 Q will be going & the new ones will be assessed against the 2021’s to see which are kept

I had to put a body armour to deal with the bottom box of a demaree hive with 3 supers. I tried to deal with it 2 days ago but had to close it before I could get to the bottom box (after the little b**** managed to get in my wellies and sting a few times.

I thought they had swarmed and the queen which is clipped had made her way back under the floor as I good see a cluster. I was surprised to find her laying nicely and also found a single supercedure cell. This is the 2nd hive this year which has gone really aggressive while in supercedure mode. Queen was killed, cell removed and I will go back in 8 days to remove the EQcs before I requeen.

Latest posts

Back