April

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Hi here is a photo of the garden apiary from last year we had supers on and we demareed colonys on the 17th of April last year we are weeks behind the colonys are no where near ready to take advantage of the spring forage.
Saying that we still have colonys that will need some attention as soon as the weather changes.
Here's the photo from the 5th-IMG_20200411_091601.jpgIMG_20200402_175659.jpg 11th of April 2020.IMG_20200405_194634.jpg
How has the season started for you?

I'll let you know when it has actually begun in earnest, spring is alluding me and the end of winter still a tease.
I'm still adding fondant to colonys I'm feeding another 5 today I fed 8 yesterday with fondant.
Keep an eye on stores folks!

So far I’ve only looked in one of mine, just to remove a nadired super. That colony was on four frames only. The other three appear to be further ahead, judging by activity levels. The bees are only taking advantage of what blossom there is for a short period each day because the air temperature is so low.
I‘m on clay and the surface is already starting to crack from lack of rain, so I reckon amounts of nectar will be reduced if those April showers don’t arrive.
Every year is different - keeps us on our toes👣

Luckily I had left all hives with plenty of room as most had a super on. When I checked for brood and stores a couple of weeks ago they were all really strong. I predict early swarms if we get a warm spell!

It's April so it must be snow time. (this morning)
The third picture shows a 4 frame polynuc with additional 50cm roof insulation in one half of the roof only (the other being a feed hole for fondant)

Attachments

• IMG_0694.JPG
    IMG_0694.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0695.JPG
    IMG_0695.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
It's April so it must be snow time. (this morning)
The third picture shows a 4 frame polynuc with additional 50cm roof insulation in one half of the roof only (the other being a feed hole for fondant)
Crumbs... the difference that a couple of hundred miles make (and of course living halfway up a mountain doesn't help !).

I cut the grass for the second time yesterday, we've had no proper rain for nearly three weeks now - I was watering the pots on the patio as they were drying out. The plum trees came into blossom yesterday although it's a bit cold and the cherry tree is STILL in bud, just a few flowers breaking through. Bees flying despite it being only about 9 degrees. Some rain is predicted today and tomorrow - but it was predicted yesterday and we got ... about 6 drops !

Luckily I had left all hives with plenty of room as most had a super on. When I checked for brood and stores a couple of weeks ago they were all really strong. I predict early swarms if we get a warm spell!
I was thinking the same Eric, there is also alot of forage about more so down in the valley.

I live on Hergest Ridge (I can see clee hill from the top) it's been snowing hard but not settling here!
Your the other side of Kington cracking golf course up on those hills.
Do you ever get to the steam rally ( when it's on?).
I know Kington very well

Yes that's it. I've not been to the steam rally yet but I'll definitely go when I get a chance! There's also a pretty extravagant classic tractor rally that comes through every year!

I know Clee a bit, my dad lives in Ludlow so we used to go walking up there from time to time. It's amazing how the landscape changes as you climb in altitude.

Yes that's it. I've not been to the steam rally yet but I'll definitely go when I get a chance! There's also a pretty extravagant classic tractor rally that comes through every year!

I know Clee a bit, my dad lives in Ludlow so we used to go walking up there from time to time. It's amazing how the landscape changes as you climb in altitude.
I live up nr the summit, true the landscape does change fairish as you climb up here. IMG_20210113_142106.jpgsummit car park up nr the radar station.
I might meet you one day down at the rally it is one of the shows we have always gone to, the tractor convoy move around throughout the marches and border towns hopefully we can get back to that one day.

I live up nr the summit, true the landscape does change fairish as you climb up here. View attachment 25417summit car park up nr the radar station.
I might meet you one day down at the rally it is one of the shows we have always gone to, the tractor convoy move around throughout the marches and border towns hopefully we can get back to that one day.

Nice Views up there on a clear day!

Its nice when you drive up out of the cloud and into the sunshine.

I'll look forward to it. I can't wait for stuff to start happening again!

Rob

Crumbs... the difference that a couple of hundred miles make (and of course living halfway up a mountain doesn't help !).

I cut the grass for the second time yesterday, we've had no proper rain for nearly three weeks now - I was watering the pots on the patio as they were drying out. The plum trees came into blossom yesterday although it's a bit cold and the cherry tree is STILL in bud, just a few flowers breaking through. Bees flying despite it being only about 9 degrees. Some rain is predicted today and tomorrow - but it was predicted yesterday and we got ... about 6 drops !
Same here, dandelion is in full bloom and the apple trees are a week away from blossoming. Couple of hives have almost filled a super and 3 nucs were transferred into full hives yesterday. Still slightly on the cold side though 9-11C.

Same here, dandelion is in full bloom and the apple trees are a week away from blossoming. Couple of hives have almost filled a super and 3 nucs were transferred into full hives yesterday. Still slightly on the cold side though 9-11C.

Blimey, season haven’t started here yet... Gave fondant to most of my colonies on Fri.

Blimey, season haven’t started here yet... Gave fondant to most of my colonies on Fri.
Don't get me wrong, it's not in full swing and I still have a few hives behind and most are without a super. I will be doing my spring cull/uniting this week though. I was speaking to a friend in Limousin who have just populated their first round of mating nucs...

it feels to me that the spring season is going to be poor this year....forecast is to stay cool to the end of the month and we are usually removing spring supers in May

i have put some supers on because the colonies had sufficient BIA so be interested to see if they are filling up at all

its 9 degrees here today however and the bees are flying in numbers

its 9 degrees here today however and the bees are flying in numbers
Unless it's baltic they will fly in numbers as the first flow of the season has started and they also need pollen for the brood which has ramped up. I went to one apiary today, 9C, cloudy with a fresh SE wind and it was like Heathrow.

Latest posts

Back