APRIL FOOL!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swn58

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Less than 1.....more than 20!
I've read a lot of news items this morning, even trawled tv news and Google. There are many articles that would have been great April fools jokes a short while back. However, unfortunately they all appear to be true! :laughing-smiley-014 :icon_204-2::laughing-smiley-014:icon_204-2::laughing-smiley-014

Winter Survival
This study based in the USA tested the hypothesis that ‘local bees’ would over-winter better than bees from far off locations in different climate zones – they didn’t. They found that the weight of the colony going into winter was a significant determinant of winter survival.

I have serious issues with this study from Penn State. It would take a long post here to explain why I think that. The short version...

I was involved in the first study by Penn State. They established apiaries whose queens came from four groups. Two "southern" stocks, and two "northern stocks. My queens were one of the Northern stocks. In late Autumn of the first year, I was told by the researcher that my bees were the only ones still viable. Then a year or so later, that researcher came to Burlington and spoke to Penn State alumni living in the area. Her graphs clearly showed one of the northern stocks stocks rose to the top. I asked her when the study would be published. She didn't know. I asked her again at Apimondia/Montreal. I reminded her of her previous comments and her presentation in Burlington. "I don't remember ever saying any of that". ????

Then the above study was published. Again four stocks, tow southern and two northern. Well, one of the northern stocks originated in West Virginia...certainly not a northern location. And yet, there is the study showing that only weight before winter was the critical thing effecting winter survival.

I believe that all the stocks used were from commercially reared queens that in no way were either northern or southern. Rather, they were all from typical US stocks that are all basically the same. Queens or queen cells raised in the south and used across the US by beekeepers. Then those Brough into their northern apiaries are really not northern stocks selected for years for their ability to thrive in the north.

I wrote to the author of the new study. I wanted to know the origin of all four stocks. He never replied. I think something is going on here...perhaps a bit of protection for the southern breeders?

Winter Survival
This study based in the USA tested the hypothesis that ‘local bees’ would over-winter better than bees from far off locations in different climate zones – they didn’t. They found that the weight of the colony going into winter was a significant determinant of winter survival.

I have serious issues with this study from Penn State. It would take a long post here to explain why I think that. The short version...

I was involved in the first study by Penn State. They established apiaries whose queens came from four groups. Two "southern" stocks, and two "northern stocks. My queens were one of the Northern stocks. In late Autumn of the first year, I was told by the researcher that my bees were the only ones still viable. Then a year or so later, that researcher came to Burlington and spoke to Penn State alumni living in the area. Her graphs clearly showed one of the northern stocks stocks rose to the top. I asked her when the study would be published. She didn't know. I asked her again at Apimondia/Montreal. I reminded her of her previous comments and her presentation in Burlington. "I don't remember ever saying any of that". ????

Then the above study was published. Again four stocks, tow southern and two northern. Well, one of the northern stocks originated in West Virginia...certainly not a northern location. And yet, there is the study showing that only weight before winter was the critical thing effecting winter survival.

I believe that all the stocks used were from commercially reared queens that in no way were either northern or southern. Rather, they were all from typical US stocks that are all basically the same. Queens or queen cells raised in the south and used across the US by beekeepers. Then those Brough into their northern apiaries are really not northern stocks selected for years for their ability to thrive in the north.

I wrote to the author of the new study. I wanted to know the origin of all four stocks. He never replied. I think something is going on here...perhaps a bit of protection for the southern breeders?

Good to know... But disappointing to hear. That encourages me yet further towards the 'multiple papers needed' thought.

Winter Survival

I have serious issues with this study from Penn State. It would take a long post here to explain why I think that.

Hi Mike - yes, apparently that study is a bit of a shitty one to have picked. David Evans corrected me on that too. The point of the article relating to imports was not "imports are good" but that some people are a little precious about it. If somebody near you in Vermont imports bees from Georgia that is like somebody in the UK importing from southern Italy. I'm sure people do that and they do ok many years, but I agree that it makes sense that bees adapted to the warm/dry Mediterranean region won't do so well in the wetlands of Northern Europe. Some people think that if we "import" bees between counties in the UK we are committing a crime - or just over the water in Holland, say. I also stressed the value (taught by you amongst others) of raising your own queens and taking them through winter in nucs.

Also, sometimes it helps to rattle a few cages to get more visitors to my blog :ROFLMAO:

Latest posts

Back