Apple tree scions + rootstocks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Any recommendations for sourcing good quality apple scions and rootstocks for home grafting?

Grafted some unknown apple scion onto MM106 last spring, planning to be more organised this year as I have some large apple trees (20ft +) to remove that I'd like to graft from and also want to diversify the varieties in the garden.

Going to the local garden centre superstore (not an independent nursery) with a pair of secateurs is probably not legit:nono:

Any experience with P22 rootstock?

Thanks both.
I don't think Brogdale supply individuals with scions/rootstock, but I could be wrong and will investigate.
Blackmoor looks good.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

Wild apple not suitable for rootstock?

Goran, it is normal for Uk apples to be grafted onto different rootstocks to restrict their size. You can get dwarfing, semi-dwarf, vigorous etc with different soil preferences as well. Rootstocks are mainly UK developed but there are a few new ones from Cornell USA and Poland.
same for other fruits but there is less choice for pears, plums, quinces etc
Apologies if you knew this.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

No need to apologize. I knew there are different rootstocks, but I was thinking for amateur as I am in fruit trees for only few plants could be done with wild apple. I hope I wasn't annoying..
Pruning is other thing and I am so bad with that.. I heard that for pruning You have to have cold heart and soft hand.. Still didn't get to..

I don't think Brogdale supply individuals with scions/rootstock, but I could be wrong and will investigate.

Worth asking as they will themselves graft a specific single tree to order. No need for bulk orders.

So if you're all getting rootstocks from Blackmoor, where do you get diverse scions from?

The only one I can find is gb-online who sell through ebay. Any experience with them?

As I said before, going to the local garden centre superstore (not an independent nursery) with a pair of secateurs is probably not a legit response!!

Last edited:
If you follow Blackmoor on twitter you get 10% off

I grow 10 varieties of apple in my garden - if you're still looking for scions drop me a message and I'll send you a list. No problem putting some cuttings in the post.

Nick

Not sure if this is plausible? Buy some fruit trees from Aldi at £3.99 each cut off the rootstock and graft into them? Simples :yeahthat::icon_204-2:

I grow 10 varieties of apple in my garden - if you're still looking for scions drop me a message and I'll send you a list. No problem putting some cuttings in the post.

Nick

Thanks for the offer.

Since I first posted my plans have changed. I was going to plant some home-grafted new trees and top-work some old neglected apple trees in my garden. The neglected trees I decided were too far gone and the branch network was too high to make lowering it by severe pruning/top-working over 2-3 years viable. I took the old trees out over new year and the stump grinder man did a great job on monday.
Instead I've gone for an espalier grid with 8 new trees. As my grafting is somewhat haphazard and novice, I didn't want to waste a year or two of potential growth by trying to produce my own grafted trees so I bought some maiden trees. I'm going to try and graft with some scions taken from the old trees and also use the prunings from the maiden trees I bought.

So in future years if anyone needs a scion of Kidds Orange Red, Blenheim Orange, Sunset, Edward VII, Howgate Wonder, Charles Ross, Egremont Russet, Fiesta or Laxton's Superb I may be able to help.
Perhaps a scion exchange next winter?

:iagree:
Always had good service from them - and good plants whatever I've ordered. i would highly recommend them

They are just up the road from us in Liss .. helpful, friendly people always prepared to give you advice and very approachable. Their plants and trees have always been good ... prices fair.

:iagree:

Plants (rootstock, gooseberry, white + black currant, raspberry canes) I've had from them all look very healthy, especially the raspberry canes.
Advice that came with them also clear and helpful.
I also got some rootgrow mycorhizal fungi - any good or was I taken in by the marketing?

We bought some of the Aldi fruit trees, but the ground is so wet we are afraid to plant them!
We have had the offer of some scions in the Spring ( next few weeks, when is the best time?) from a local orchard, but do not seem to be able to find a local supplier in Cornwall for a small quantity of the MM106 rootstocks.
Any recommendation for a good mail order supplier would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought some of the Aldi fruit trees, but the ground is so wet we are afraid to plant them!
We have had the offer of some scions in the Spring ( next few weeks, when is the best time?) from a local orchard, but do not seem to be able to find a local supplier in Cornwall for a small quantity of the MM106 rootstocks.
Any recommendation for a good mail order supplier would be appreciated!
These guys in Wales seem good - however, I've only ever bought grafting tape from them: http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/treegraftingsupplies

Latest posts

Back