Apologies To Those 'Oop Norf'

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerNut

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I went to look at my bees this morning about 06:00 (as usual) and was amazed :)

Instead of the normal few bees going back and forth...............there was a major in and out :)

I've got a flow
:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

The little darlings must have found something in the last few days as this has been the first time I've seen this amount of activity so early in the morning :)

It's sooooooooooooooo nice 'dan sarf' :)

Yours Roy

Last edited:
Sorry to rain on your parade........but I'm 'oop norff' and surrounded by 0000's of acres of white clover which is still delivering the goods!

:party:

Are you sure they are not being robbed?

Or perhaps it was simply because the sun was shining directly on them (not through thick cloud cover!) for a change.

Not sure how you discriminate between norf and sarf. Country or UK? I'm in lincolnshire and most of my bees are collecting steadily, nothing spectacular. Only one nuc is decreasing in stores, I would say, and they have a plentiful supply of food anyway.

Regards, RAB

It is a fact that life and plants do grow and live North of the Watford gap!!!

My bees are doing very well thank you, same as White park Clover and HB to name the obvious ones.:cheers2:

Are you sure they are not being robbed?

Not sure how you discriminate between norf and sarf. Country or UK? I'm in lincolnshire and most of my bees are collecting steadily, nothing spectacular. Only one nuc is decreasing in stores, I would say, and they have a plentiful supply of food anyway.

Regards, RAB

I'm working in Lincoln for the next couple of days, and they always say that I am from "Dahn Sarf". Still, Love Lincoln and Lincolnshire, people very friendly, beer cheaper than my local, easy to find (head north up A1, turn right when people start talking funny).:cheers2:

I have noticed too a big traffic in the morning and they carried drinking water first 2 hours.

But lets hope that that the sugar truck has drived onto verge - or with honey load - and ........

What do you mean the Watford Gap?....................Why do think they built the M4.........it's a barrier :)

Well when you read these forums, from what is said it seems that everyone above the M4 has packed up for the winter :)

My bees have been having a steady flow since end of June, but I have never seen them this active so early in the morning........morning was grey, no sun, but warm today.

So I can only assume they had found something to make them get up earlier :)

Yours Roy

What do you mean the Watford Gap?....................Why do think they built the M4.........it's a barrier :)

Well when you read these forums, from what is said it seems that everyone above the M4 has packed up for the winter :)

My bees have been having a steady flow since end of June, but I have never seen them this active so early in the morning........morning was grey, no sun, but warm today.

So I can only assume they had found something to make them get up earlier :)

Yours Roy

Same here ,Its like a Luton airport in my back garden with Bees coming and going. May be I should have left the supers on a bit longer??

Actually the M62 which goes full width East To West is in fact built over hydraulic rams, which on activation extend to form a wall 3m high:svengo:

head north up A1, turn right when people start talking funny).

Blimey heck! That could be anywhere!

Regards, RAB

Simple Geography, the further north you travel the longer the daylight hours in Summer ! (Fanny That):svengo:.
Insect activity? go to PHs' country if you want insect activety :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014

John Wilkinson

Went to see my hives today,so much activity,i dont think i have seen then so busy.Might be a silly question but is there any point in putting a super on this late in the year? They are on 9/10 frames at the moment,plenty of stores and brood. Im in the south west,near Torquay.

It depends a bit on what "kit" you have with your 2 National colonies ... and whether the supers have drawn comb or not.
If you plan on brood-and-a-half / bottom-supering to overwinter, it really helps to have drawn super comb when you start the autumn feed ... so if you haven't any drawn super comb hanging about, adding a super of foundation for them to draw ready for the autumn feeds might be helpful.

Thanks for the fast reply,no,i dont have any drawn comb,just fresh foundation,but you say it would be worth adding a super anyway?

Actually the M62 which goes full width East To West is in fact built over hydraulic rams, which on activation extend to form a wall 3m high:svengo:

:rofl:

Haven't the Romans already done that (OK without the Hydraulic ram bit) with Hadrians Wall and the Antonine Wall.

bee-smillie

Went to see my hives today,so much activity,i dont think i have seen then so busy.Might be a silly question but is there any point in putting a super on this late in the year? They are on 9/10 frames at the moment,plenty of stores and brood. Im in the south west,near Torquay.

I'm in a similar position - they've filled 7 frames with eggs/brood and drawing 2 more so there will probably be 9 frames of brood/eggs this week. If that's the case then I'll put a super of foundation on and try to get some drawn for next year.

If you are not from the land "North of the Umber", then you are from "darn Sarth"!

Latest posts

Back