Apivar (Varroa Control)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Not Api life var

I have just got my association letter and i have the chance to use this product as Varroa Control.They have gone to the trouble of finding a vet that
imports Apivar . Is this in your opinion a good product ?
2 strips cost £5.80 that will mean i need 8 strips@ £23.20

I would be greatfull for any advice

Regards

It is supposed to be very effective but is what I would call a "hard" chemical, i.e. not organic. The active ingredient is Amitraz. There have been reports of resistance building up but you should be fine to begin with in terms of varroa control.

I don't know how long wightbees has has his bees, but if they are recently acquired they could have come with resistance built in. Worth checking your supplier if you got them this year.

What? Are you using it with a vets prescription? I thought the use of amitraz was not permitted in the Engalnd.

I don't think it's been avalibale here on the Island before Skyhook.
Ok thanks Rooftops, i might give this a go
cheers.

National Bee unit used it last yr,so the letter says. They had a special import licence from the veterinary medicines directorate.Our local Association have done some home work and come up with a way of getting it and being able to use it here :)

I heard of someone who gets hold of it and he likes it. I'm none too keen on the idea of using Amitraz myself if it's not absolutely necessary. its not authorised for use in the UK I thought.

See this Varroa booklet page 23

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=16

Maybe the Isle of Wight has different rules to the rest of the UK???

Last edited:
Why not go just a touch further and hint to the Americans that Al Qaeda is lurking amongst the hives in the hope they'll spray Agent Orange, or launch nuclear missiles?:biggrinjester:

Last edited:
Why not go just a touch further and hint to the Americans that Al Qaeda is lurking amongst the hives in the hope they'll spray Agent Orange, or launch nuclear missiles?:biggrinjester:

HaHa Dont you think that might be just a tad OTT? :)

From what i have read it looks like a bit of a trail with the National Bee unit's interest on how the trail goes .

The problem with the newly approved Apivar is that it is not widely available, if at all, and it requires a warmer ambient temperature to work effectively than either ApilifeVar or Apiguard. Neither of the other two are any more effective either we were told; also Apiguard is done in two openings up of the hive but ApilifeVar takes 4 trips. This was the advice given to a beeks meeting in the local council chamber last night by a rep from FERA, no less. Hot off the press so to speak. With our climate, best to stick to Apiguard IMO. A no brainer I think but somebody will disgree no doubt?

Arfermo
What makes you think you need higher temperatures to use apivar, which works by contact, and with amitraz as the active ingrediant,than with thymol based treatments?

It is not what I think - it is what the FERA rep said. The slideshow acually gave the respective ambient working temperatures for all 3. OK?

Are you joking? Not sure so for your benefit

FERA = The Food and Environment Research Agency.

It is not what I think - it is what the FERA rep said. The slideshow acually gave the respective ambient working temperatures for all 3. OK?

And what was the temperature for apivar.

Of course, with amitraz/Apivar there will be no 'operating temperature'. People are getting their Apivar and ApilifeVAR mixed up.

I would think amitraz has been used a fair bit in the UK already via a system of black imports.

Of course, with amitraz/Apivar there will be no 'operating temperature'. People are getting their Apivar and ApilifeVAR mixed up.

I would think amitraz has been used a fair bit in the UK already via a system of black imports.

Since you apparently know better, perhaps you should put your remarks to FERA then hadn't you, as I have merely reported what a very prominent person in their HQ said!!!!

Since you apparently know better, perhaps you should put your remarks to FERA then hadn't you, as I have merely reported what a very prominent person in their HQ said!!!!

Do FERA know more about the product than the company that manufacture Apivar.

Apivar is a contact product. It can be used whatsoever the temperature.

B.R.

Thierry Gosselin
Lab. Biové

At least FERA haven't any axe to grind such as the manufacturers have!!!!

Back