Apivar strip removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today helped a friend remove the strips from his 35 double brood hives . Took all of 45 minutes from start to finish so averaging 77 seconds per hive. Temperature was 10 C and bees were in cluster with only one or two bees bothering fly up to greet us as we hinged up the top BCs to get at the strips in the lower BCs. Smoker not needed. One or two were lighter than expected so will need topping up with fondant before the end of winter. Next weekend got to remove the strips from my 30 colonies.

Not sure what you mean re "false start". With Apistan,Bayvarol, MAQS, Apivar and this year Apitraz we (I help him and vice versa) have been using strips of one sort or another for years (apart from a few years of Apiguard which was abandoned when Vitas stopped selling the 30 colony tubs) so we have got into a system of knowing who does what and when so strip inserting or removal goes like clockwork every time and so we are quickly in and out of each hive rapidly before moving onto the next one.

Having searched against his name I can find no entry in 2020. Nothing since July 2019. Why would that be?
I didn't say he posted, just that he was looking through the forum.
If you want to know why he doesn't post just ask him because I have no idea

I didn't say he posted, just that he was looking through the forum.
If you want to know why he doesn't post just ask him because I have no idea
Ok thanks Dani. I was more concerned about his well being. I bought my first nuc and two hives from him and found him (and his sons) to be very friendly and helpful.

Ok thanks Dani. I was more concerned about his well being. I bought my first nuc and two hives from him and found him (and his sons) to be very friendly and helpful.
Yes Pete can talk about bees till even a fellow beekeeper gets that glazed look
I bought my first new queen from him as a novice. I phoned him up one night after 11 as instructed and he kept me talking for an hour. 😃

Yes Pete can talk about bees till even a fellow beekeeper gets that glazed look
I bought my first new queen from him as a novice. I phoned him up one night after 11 as instructed and he kept me talking for an hour. 😃
That’s about right😊
He can apparently survive and operate efficiently on a couple of hours sleep a night through the main season And talks bees to folk into the small hours!!

Just for the record there’s a few references here to people concerned about breaking the bees winter cluster and also in other threads. I’ve relocated hives in the winter treated hives to a bleaching and even over a number of seasons inspected a sample of nucs/colonies. I’ve never seen any adverse effects or additional losses in those checked/disturbed. It obviously goes without saying you do it sensibly and your not doing it for fun!!

Just for the record there’s a few references here to people concerned about breaking the bees winter cluster and also in other threads. I’ve relocated hives in the winter treated hives to a bleaching and even over a number of seasons inspected a sample of nucs/colonies. I’ve never seen any adverse effects or additional losses in those checked/disturbed. It obviously goes without saying you do it sensibly and your not doing it for fun!!
Thanks, that's reassuring, yes agree would only disturb if I had no alternative re getting the strips out.

Latest posts

Back