Apivar strip removal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve treated my bees with Apivar this season, started end August, with last hive early Sept. Can leave the strips in til mid Nov.

Most colonies are showing v little varroa drop now, so will remove the strips soon. However 2-3 colonies still showing good drops, which is a concern in its own right, but they’re clearly working, so will leave in for the maximum time and follow up with oxalic later.

I’m concerned with taking the strips out if the weather turns cold and the bees are tightly clustered. Especially a couple of colonies on double brood with strips in both boxes which could be disruptive and break the cluster to get out. I was told when I started beekeeping, that if you break a cluster you could kill it???? 🥺😩Any truth in this?

Realise I’ll need to be v quick taking the strips out & I’ll try to do it on a milder day, but what if there is a sustained cold spell? Any advice welcome pls.
Elaine

I took Apistan strips out at 4 Allotment hives yesterday. It was raining (almost all day).

Waited for a dryish spell at 2pm, smoker lit, roof off, CB off and smoked (quickly). Strips off into bag, Reassembly.
Took approx 3 minutes per hive. (I had one assistant which speeds it up).

Very few flying bees, no hassle.

I’ve treated my bees with Apivar this season, started end August, with last hive early Sept. Can leave the strips in til mid Nov.

Most colonies are showing v little varroa drop now, so will remove the strips soon. However 2-3 colonies still showing good drops, which is a concern in its own right, but they’re clearly working, so will leave in for the maximum time and follow up with oxalic later.

I’m concerned with taking the strips out if the weather turns cold and the bees are tightly clustered. Especially a couple of colonies on double brood with strips in both boxes which could be disruptive and break the cluster to get out. I was told when I started beekeeping, that if you break a cluster you could kill it???? 🥺😩Any truth in this?

Realise I’ll need to be v quick taking the strips out & I’ll try to do it on a milder day, but what if there is a sustained cold spell? Any advice welcome pls.
Elaine
What drops are you getting and after what time? I took mine out after 8 weeks and the last count was about 5 per day on each hive

I was told when I started beekeeping, that if you break a cluster you could kill it
Maybe, perhaps, but depends: if a hive knocked over by a winter storm has a bit of cover and enough bees it will survive. I had one go over years ago on Christmas Eve, and it produced a big colony and a lot of honey the following summer.

With a pair of long nosed pliers you can remove the apivar strips in seconds. If you include the removal and replacement of roof and crownboard maybe a total of no more than one minute per hive (The most time is taken breaking the propolis seal to free the crownboard.) The bees do not usually break cluster during this process and only the odd bee flies up so no need for a smoker (although have one on hand just in case). No real damage occurs in my experience. Don't forget to dispose of the strips safely (wrapped before binning them).

I’m concerned with taking the strips out if the weather turns cold and the bees are tightly clustered.
Doubt we ever get weather cold enough nowadays for the bees to be that tightly clustered. And popping the crownboard to remove a few strips is probably less intrusive than dousing them with OA syrup midwinter.
I think people don't really think about what they're saying when they talk about disturbing bees in the winter. I often take the opportunity of prolonged cold weather to rearrange apiaries.

Elaine has mentioned double brood with strips in both boxes, removing these will be far more intrusive than removing the CB and whipping the strips out.
It's the six week treatment plus a further four after a quick scratch, people tend to overlook the date these strips need to come out. No doubt, with bees being resilient little creatures, they will come to no real harm but splitting brood boxes in November is not something I would want to inflict on them. In Yorkshire it will be a bit colder than here as well I expect.

Cracking the boxes hinge style or popping the crown board will not effect your bees in any way. Just pick the best spell you can and go ahead.

Went to remove strips today and put mouse guard on. Could only see one strip. I had a good look for the other one but it was very sunny and couldn't see it in the glare. It will be there till March now as I won't be opening the hive again till december and then only to check feed.

Went to remove strips today and put mouse guard on. Could only see one strip. I had a good look for the other one but it was very sunny and couldn't see it in the glare. It will be there till March now as I won't be opening the hive again till december and then only to check feed.

Heft/weigh the hives now to gauge the colony weight and then again in Dec, no need to open for checking stores if they have plenty now. Stores usually get used up later in winter once the new year is underway and new brood is being raised.

Leaving strips in over winter is possibly how resistance of Apistan and Bayvarol with low levels of acaricide release was selected for in the surviving Varroa population. My advice to Susan1 is to go back in and remove the remaining strips. Also next time maybe put in your hive notes whereabouts (next to which frames) you positioned the strips.

Last edited:
Leaving strips in over winter is possibly how resistance of Apistan and Bayvarol with low levels of acaride release was selected for in the surviving Varroa population. My advice to Susan1 is to go back in and remove the remaining strips. Also next time maybe put in your hive notes whereabouts (next to which frames) you positioned the strips.
Amitraz resistance is already here.
Hivemaker reports the mites are thriving on it 😥

Thankyou everyone for your advice and sharing your experience. Especially the comments how to go about removing the strips in my lower brood box and double Nuc.

Susan, I threaded a cocktail stick in the hole in the Apivar strip this year and placed this across 2 frames the strip was between - stops the strip from falling down between frames. Agree it’s important to remove as per manufacturer instructions, so not to repeat the resistance now experienced with Apistan

Thanks again for your advice, enjoying being a member of the Forum 😊
Elaine

With a pair of long nosed pliers you can remove the apivar strips in seconds. If you include the removal and replacement of roof and crownboard maybe a total of no more than one minute per hive (The most time is taken breaking the propolis seal to free the crownboard.) The bees do not usually break cluster during this process and only the odd bee flies up so no need for a smoker (although have one on hand just in case). No real damage occurs in my experience. Don't forget to dispose of the strips safely (wrapped before binning them).
Thanks I’ve removed them quickly on single brood boxes, it was my double brood and double Nuc colony I was more concerned about ie taking a box off to get at the lower box strips and if this would harm the cluster?

Hi Susan
Consider threading a cocktail stick in the hole at the top of the strip next time you use them and balance this across the top of the 2 frames, the strip is between. Stops the strips falling between frames. I’d definitely go back in the hive, on the next mild day & remove that lost strip. As the Apivar reduces in strength if you leave them in, it can help cause resistance to the treatment. It exposes mites to a reduced dose and encourages mite resistance to develop. This has happened to treatments such as Apistan in the past and means the treatment becomes ineffective for other beekeepers

What drops are you getting and after what time? I took mine out after 8 weeks and the last count was about 5 per day on each hive
Hi I left the varroa boards in, in my out apiary for a week and checked a couple of days ago and there were c 70 mites after a week. The strips have been in since end of August.

Thanks for the tips about the cocktail stick. I cant believe I couldn't find the other strip. It obviously must have fallen down but I did take out a couple of empty frames at the edge but could not see it. I really didn't want to interrupt them to much at this time of year although in hindsight it was fairly sunny here yesterday. I will have another go as I know it isn't advisable to leave them in. I will have to wait till I get a warmish day though definitely not today as very chilly here.
In December I do heft but I generally find they need some fondant

Doubt we ever get weather cold enough nowadays for the bees to be that tightly clustered. And popping the crownboard to remove a few strips is probably less intrusive than dousing them with OA syrup midwinter.
I think people don't really think about what they're saying when they talk about disturbing bees in the winter. I often take the opportunity of prolonged cold weather to rearrange apiaries.
Aye, long cold spell is a great time to move hives around if needed.

Latest posts

Back