Apivar question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I have four hives that have had Apivar strips put in which means I have one pair of strips left for which I have no use. Now, I have a colony that has been so productive and quiescent over the years that I am desperate to ensure they survive the winter ergo the greater the lack of varroa mites the better. Would adding the spare pair of Apivar strips to this colony be useful in any way or could it be detrimental to the bee's health?

The strips a design to deliver a fixed amout on Amitraz pesticide that kills the mite but not kill your bees, using extra strips of amitraz to give a higher doses will kill your bee and will be illegal as the VMD approve the treatment to be used in only in accordance with the approved instrction

The strips a design to deliver a fixed amout on Amitraz pesticide that kills the mite but not kill your bees, using extra strips of amitraz to give a higher doses will kill your bee and will be illegal as the VMD approve the treatment to be used in only in accordance with the approved instrction

Well I had to ask just in case. I'll chuck it away. Cheers

In March Randy Oliver did a post on scientific beekeeping about effectiveness of old Apivar.
Yes and even rolling around in the floor of his truck for a year in the heat it did just as well as a fresh strip.

I would keep them. You never know when you may need to do an emergency treatment.

Latest posts

Back