Apivar clarification

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done a restart, also logged off and back on. The box is still empty but the function has not been removed.
There are other issues, all profile related but the meaningless bits still seem to work fine.
Can you PM Angie. Coz I don’t understand this stuff at all. 😥

From https://www.dadant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2011/09/FAQs_Apivar_US_2012.pdf

26. Has Apivar participated in residues trials, and what were the findings? Yes. The French agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health Safety, has conducted residue trials on Apivar strips and found that:  No active ingredient residues were detected in honey after 10 weeks of treatment, regardless of the date of sampling. Others studies also proved that, in honey, the active ingredient is fully degraded after 10 days.  No active ingredient residues were detected in beeswax 24 hours after the removal of the strips from the hive. Amitraz does not accumulate in the honey and wax because of its instability in the hive’s acidic environment where it is quickly broken down by hydrolysis. Similarly, other studies concluded that residues of amitraz or its main components in honey consistently fall below maximum residue limits established by the European Medicines Agency. Source: Martel A.C. et al, Acaricide residues in honey and wax after treatment of honey bee colonies with Apivar or Asuntol 50, Apidologie (2007), 38, 2002, 534‐544 Source: R.M. Goodwin et al, Residues of amitraz in wax honey and propolis after using Apivar, 2002

From this I assume that by spring traces of amitraz will be gone.
Similarly, other studies concluded that residues of amitraz or its main components in honey consistently fall below maximum residue limits established by the European Medicines Agency. Is this not the salient point. So if it falls below this level it does not to be acknowledged as a problem. Well, the manufacturers are not taking any chances are they? They are telling the user to remove supers before application.

I've now received clarification from Veto-Pharma. If you only leave the supers on for the bees over winter, it's okay. If you want extra reassurance, use the comb for brood in the spring (or in my case I'll probably use the wax for candles).

Try clearing your browser cache. That usually works wonders..

If it does not, clear cookies . (lose any saved passwords!)

Latest posts

Back