Apimaye Thermo Bee Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
There is an article in the latest issue of Beecraft on the above beehives.

Does anyone own one of these, they look really good, anyone know how much they are ?

James

There is an article in the latest issue of Beecraft on the above beehives.

Does anyone own one of these, they look really good, anyone know how much they are ?

James

Hi Roachman, dont know what they are like or how much they are but I agree they do look ok. Heres the UK details for them, if you want to email them to find out a price:

APIMAYE UK
Unit 9 Tower Square - Tower Close - Huntingdon, PE29 7DT - United Kingdom
TEL: +44 (0) 1480 41 35 16 - FAX: +44 (0) 1480 41 46 46 - E-Mail [email protected]

I already e-mailed them for some more details before I read that article.

Seems a better option, possibly, than a beehaus as a plastic beetainer. As long as it is a Langstroth you are wanting.

Regards, RAB

From the pictures on the site, it is reminiscent of something existing in an Aztec jungle. A larger picture might look quite different though. It certainly seems to have been given the aesthetic design treatment.

Could this be the new hive contender for 2010 and split the BeeHause vote. :)

Interesting.

Aztec, sorry, would that be Mayan as inferred by the name (sorry).

Let's hope they're better at building beehives than they are at spelling! A turkish import apparently........

Apimaye

Hs anyone bought one, what do they think of it ?

I found a video one youtube by cornwall honey [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SBRJXvCHJA[/ame]
I'd say nice design but Very expencive and probably not compatable with anything

Who would bother??

Looks like a dream come true for those bees which love to propolise - like mine!

Obviously been thought about. Lots of little plasticy bits to get lost/broken.

I saw a demonstration at the National Honey Show last year,they looked fascinating and luckily I didnt have enough money or I would have been tempted

Last edited:
how pissed orft do you reckon your bees get when you close those clips home with a dirty great thump.
not one for me thanks all the same

how pissed orft do you reckon your bees get when you close those clips home with a dirty great thump.
not one for me thanks all the same

And the clips will make it easier to steal. Just close the built in door, lift it up and pop it in the back of your car. You won't even need to come back later with strapping.

Anyway, if they don't make it in purple I'm not interested.

Obviously been thought about. Lots of little plasticy bits to get lost/broken.

Just what I thought when I first got the bumph about them. Easily broken and not so easily mended.

I still like timber as that can easily be home manufactured, easily repaired, etc - but the EPS hives have some attraction now - competitively priced (well, getting there) and lightweight. The other main attribute (insulation) can be transferred to timber hives without too much effort. These Apimayes seem singularly use 'as supplied'; when broken, discard. Unless they have a life expectancy similar to timber or EPS, I am not interested (and as they are Langstroth they are even more remote, as a choice of format for me).

RAB

Had a look at the video.

There have been hives similar in the past, and this one seems to have no advantages whatsoever. It will be very annoying to the bees to work with, slow, indeed very slow, to get through, pieces will break and/or get lost.

Plastic frames with clips on the corners? No thank you. Been there, tried that, sent the lot to recycling..........a dumb error that cost me about 15K!

Plastic excluders? Tried several brands and NONE of them are any use compared to the traditional wooden framed wire excluders. The bees swarm far quicker under a plastic excluder due to varying degrees of reluctance to work through them

Would not touch it with a bargepole.

And the lipped edges...............until you really try to work with these in any numbers you may not appreciate what a total pain they are.

Not gone into this in any detail on the MB box thread but the *main* reason is thus.

When the boxes are stuck together, and ladder comb has the frames in the broodbox attached to whatever is above, be it an excluder, a super, or especially another brood box (we need that arangement extensively in the second half of the season), you MUST be able to get the hive tool directly in to ensure the frames in the bottom box do not get pulled up at all significantly when removing the upper item.

With a lipped box this is not possible, hence the old style lipped boxes actually had a metal bar across the top bars at each end to hold the lower frames down while the upper box was removed. You then spent what would seem like forever unscrewing the four screws and removing the bars to get inot the nest, then replacing them again at the end.

If you have to haul the box up half an inch or so to get the frames apart you cause huge annoyance to the bees in the nest area, slow down the operation considerably if you are going to be careful, and, this is the big killer, when you haul the frames up unintentionally, as does happen with these boxes, you can and do nip or roll a queen or two, and with black bees which are naturally jumpier this is a serious issue. We did experiments with the Rea Dan design.......which has a relatively low lip........and queen loss was greater than in unlipped designs where you did not need to achieve so great a movement before getting the tool in. It actually translated into a large amount of money lost each year..........the working was slower by 20% so running costs went up on a perhive basis, plus considerably fewer of the hives were 'biggies' at the heather due to recovering from queen loss. If we had gone for lipped poly instead of plain jointed it worked out at a lesser profit of about 25K per annum.

Apimaye Thermo hives

I find them excellent for the bees and the beekeeper.

I know of a lady beekeeper that uses them and has not abad thing to say about them, she has 2 by her front door.

Latest posts

Back