Apimaye Thermo Bee Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thermal conductance data ?
with that sort of name "thermo" there should be some comparative measurements done by the maker to back it up imho

Discussed this last night with my poly mentor and he bought one to trial. He's run poly on a considerable scale for over 35 years.

Complete thumbs down starting with non compatibility and heading down hill from there..

PH

North Cheshire BKA bought one this year as a trial hive at their Walton Apiary, and put a swarm in it. Just when we thought it wasn't going to do much - the bees drew out all the frames and filled the super with honey. The frames at the edge of the super were more full than those in the centre - perhaps as a consequence of the excellent thermal properties.
Obviously the next stage is to see how the hive performs overwinter and how long lived the components are.

Comments -
Easy to assemble the frames etc., agree with the comment about lots of plastic bits - but there are some advantages in not having nails and hammers involved.
Easy to run 2 small colonies side by side, they also have a system which allows you to run 4 colonies (queen rearing) which also looked useful.
Frames aren't compatible with anything else.
Because of the size of the frames, a full super is very heavy.
They're not cheap.

I have just bought two plus supers and a few odds and sods; similar price to a Beehaus.
I got bees in the first one on Sunday pm and they seem quite happy so far - though they are all using the little entrances high up the hive than the main door. I was given a National nuc and with a few minutes woodwork and some scrap wood got then into the Langstroth sized hive. Reason for buying this hive - wife did not want some grotty bit of National wood in her garden - though I wonder what these might look like in a few years after UV light etc. Photos to follow. The inbuilt feeders are quite neat though.

update apimaye

Even as a newbie I can see that the frames are well filled with brood now. I have realised that I do not know what to do about bee escape - the supers come with queen excluders - but as the cahance of honey in the near future is nil I will not worry yet

Latest posts

Back