Apilife var

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Apilife on 6 hives- all bees a little more active but not falling out, of hive or with each other...
One hive about 20 mites, others only about 8 on inspection after 36hours. But I can smell thymol from yards away - poor bees - eyes must be watering in there. Cruel to be kind. They are still bringing in pollen so not put off their stride.

I think we are ok in the UK this August to do the 4 snapped pieces per brood box - repeated weekly for another 3 weeks.

Interestingly Thornes have a leaflet which suggests putting two whole strips either side of the BB and changing after a fortnight.

I used the same method as you though Heather, preferred the idea of a more steady dose applied but topped up regularly - possibly doesnt matter too much either way.

Damn, i put apilife on one of our hive's at the weekend on the brood box, but i have a super above that i put on for them to clean up. Will i have to throw these frames away now? :confused:

The simple answer is you are advised not to but many bee keepers do far worse and claim their honey is chemical free the following year.
IMHO they will be fine.

Thymol may taint honey. You could spray them with sugar syrup and give them back to the bees later for a clean-up. Would be Ok then (pretty well for sure). After all this is wax you may be 'contaminating'?

Regards, RAB

Damn, i put apilife on one of our hive's at the weekend on the brood box, but i have a super above that i put on for them to clean up. Will i have to throw these frames away now? :confused:

Certainly not. Best to keep them for the bees, particularly if you are at present on just the single brood box. Come the spring the colony will expand and need the extra space below the Q/E.

Hello every one,
I am a new member to this forum, and I just want to share my experience of Api life Var.
I read all about it and felt keen to try it.
Two points one, I did not see and still have not seen any time of year one is supposed to use it. I did not see until afterwards that there was a possible "strange" reaction of the bees to this product.

I am now fairly certain that two new hives (5 frames filled out) both swarmed /absconed with in weeks of the product being applied.
The good thing is that I captured both swarms and also a third (very small one)
These three swarms are now settled in and doing well. But the original two hives are not. One of them is very down and queenless I am not so sure about the other one.

just seen on the P*ynes site that ALV "melts" polyhives. anyone know if that is just though contact or via vapour too? nothing mentioned on chemicals laif site.

I was told the bees dislike thymol. Is this correct or does it depend on the technique of applying? Are they going to be horrible to me while we treat?

Hi Kazcc, Bees are not overly fond of thymol fumes and bearding is not uncommon whilst treating with Apiguard et all. They sup up their thomolated syrup however, to maybe it's just a bit like Marmite as far as they are concerned.

I have never had any problems with thymol fumes upsetting my bees.

just seen on the P*ynes site that ALV "melts" polyhives. anyone know if that is just though contact or via vapour too? nothing mentioned on chemicals laif site.

Just contact i would imagine,apiguard would no doubt do the same as it contains even more thymol.

The only problem I found with Apilifevar is that it was very crumbly and difficult to use ( maybe just me!) I ended up putting a few crumbs in the corners on top of brood frames! It was easier not to have to bother with ekes etc as with Apiguard as all my hives are bottom bee space, but I felt the formula of the strip maybe needed to be a bit more user friendly.
I used it last year and the one colony I had then overwintered well with no obvious adverse effects from the treatment.

Last year used Apiguard on the full size hives and wooden nucs but Apilife Var on the Poly nucs. No problems with either both appear to have done a good job.
Do close up the entrances to a couple of cms. I used to use ekes but now just invert the cover boards no noticeable difference....I do have top bee space hives though....

Hi Kazcc, Bees are not overly fond of thymol fumes and bearding is not uncommon whilst treating with Apiguard et all. They sup up their thomolated syrup however, to maybe it's just a bit like Marmite as far as they are concerned.

I have never had any problems with thymol fumes upsetting my bees.

I must have posted this a long time ago because I had mixed reactions with using the Apilife Var.

I found it crumbly too, but the first application the bees didn't take the slightest bit of notice of me. The second time though was completely different. I could smell it as I approached the hive. The bees pelted me that badly, that one ended up wedged inside the foil pack that held the other bits I intended to use. The people who were supposed to be assisting me disappeared, and I spent the session repeating " I don't like this, I don't like this " LOL. I did it though, and got away with it :eek:

Should be fun this year, especially with the size of this colony now as it was just building from a nuc last year. I'm a lot happier with them now though so I'm not worried about it :)

i'd agree that you can certainly recognise an ALV treated hive from a distance - you could smell ours from the back door last year (about 7 metres).

A much nicer smell to my nose than when they are processing Ivy......yuk.
I used apilife last year on three colonies and one lot spent the first day on the front of the hive.

Yes, I found they bunched on the front for a while, but they dealt with it. Those poor bees lol, I'm surprised they've stuck with me tbh, what with creosote man, then all the cursing and other stuff they've had done to them. They must love me ;)

"and other stuff they've had done to them. They must love me"

not to mention being kept in a plastic bucket skep and bashed with a child's spade occasionally!!!!

BTW you haven't moved for ages - you'll get cramp.

"and other stuff they've had done to them. They must love me"

not to mention being kept in a plastic bucket skep and bashed with a child's spade occasionally!!!!

BTW you haven't moved for ages - you'll get cramp.

LOL :willy_nilly:

I tried to change the picture, but it doesn't work. We are off to Blackpool again this weekend but with my whole brood this time so maybe more sandcastle pictures.

I may introduce you all to the full family :p

Latest posts

Back