Apilife Var and robbers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Just been looking on the Chemical LAife site about Apilife Var
http://www.apiservices.com/chemical-laif/index.htm

and it states

Never carry out the treatment when the bees are robbing each other.

Any idea why? Introduction of new mites prehaps?

Also, I'm now quite good at identifying the robbing wasp, but would find a robbing bee hard to finger in an identity parade. How do you know - just from the pitched doorstep battles?

Not sure why ..prob introduction as you say, but tiny colonies vulnerable to robbing- if your colony is a decent size they should be safe.
Don't be surprised to see lots of bees hanging off the entrance in an unusual way. They don't like the smell- nothing to be worried about,and if you see bees fanning on the alighting board again, no worries-bit like opening the windows at home to get fresh air in!

It would just add further stress to the colony I suspect. Robbing is hard to spot but seeing bees weave about the entrance looking into the hive is a clue. They are trying to spot an opportunity to nip in when the guard bees are not looking.

Regarding the reference about treating when no honey, does this also include honey you are leaving for the bees?

Carry out the treatment in the absence of honey combs.

A guess: smell of thymol makes it harder to identify friend from foe?

:iagree:
anything so strong smelling is going to dissrupt colony communications - including defence

Latest posts

Back