Apiguard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Is apiguard any good?

It's the only treatment my local bee store stocks but can't seem to find much info/ reviews. if it's all good I'll pop in and get it, I don't mind ordering off the internet or doing any other of the treatments but if it's on me door step and all I'll use it

Is apiguard any good?

It's the only treatment my local bee store stocks but can't seem to find much info/ reviews. if it's all good I'll pop in and get it, I don't mind ordering off the internet or doing any other of the treatments but if it's on me door step and all I'll use it

Apiquard is thymol. Out temp must be over 17C, that it works.
Look from internet how to use thymol in hives,

Then second is formic acid. If day temp rises over 25C, formic acid violates queens.

Practically formic acid and thymol kills 80% out if mites. That is why it is good to use oxalic acid on broodless time in the middle of Winter.

When the colony does not have brood, you may use oxalic acid. Otherwise OA kills lots of brood.

Last edited:
Apiguard is a standard treatment ind is fine. Occasionally the odd colony doesn't benefit from it which depends on how the bees react to it.

When the colony does not have brood, you may use oxalic acid. Otherwise OA kills lots of brood.

Whats your source for this? OA killing brood since when? OAV at least does not harm the brood.

Why not sublimate oxalic acid in whatever form you are happy to use and repeat as per Hivemaker's recommendation once supers off, very cheap once bought equipment.

One word of warning we used it at our association apiary on some our hives it damaged the Poly hives left a burn mark. Think I've read somewhere that this has happened to others with Poly hives.

I have read the same. When I treated a poly nuc I was advised to use the wrapper off the pack to prevent contact with the poly.
I did this and can report no issues.

One word of warning we used it at our association apiary on some our hives it damaged the Poly hives left a burn mark. Think I've read somewhere that this has happened to others with Poly hives.

Well, that isn't difficult to overcome. The vaporiser gets hot, very hot. Use something to insulate it from the polystyrene. I vape poly hives no problem.

Apiguard works extremely well although I've noticed that some queens go off lay when it's applied. Apply it as soon as you take the honey off, while the weather is still warm. Unlike oxalic acid, it works when there's sealed brood too.

Cheers for all the replys But please stick to the apiguard thread I'm happy to use other treatments I was just asking about apiguard (read and reading plenty of arguments about OA already) I just wanted to know about all the treatment avaible to me

Unlike oxalic acid, it works when there's sealed brood too.

No it doesn't - has no effect on sealed brood whatsoever
that's why you have to do the whole two tray dose over four weeks to get all the mites that were in sealed cells at the beginning!

Gaz, I tried it a few times during late Autumn but I was not too impressed with it. I think the weather was gone too cold for it to be effective. Applying it when the weather is still warm is the trick - I think.

Gaz, I tried it a few times during late Autumn but I was not too impressed with it. I think the weather was gone too cold for it to be effective. Applying it when the weather is still warm is the trick - I think.

They reckoned it got to 6'c in the North West last night.

but forecast for daytime max of 25c next week!

No it doesn't - has no effect on sealed brood whatsoever
that's why you have to do the whole two tray dose over four weeks to get all the mites that were in sealed cells at the beginning!

Apologies - I wasn't clear: the one-off nature of oxalate means that any sealed brood is untouched, while the extended exposure to Apiguard impacts across a cycle of brood.

Latest posts

Back