Apiguard?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just removed the 2nd tray today and there was some left in. I noticed this when removing the 1st tray, but there was slightly more today. Is this because it's not been warm enough and consequently will the treatment not have worked properly? There was still a might drop but the mites this time seemed bigger.

The Apiguard instructions say 'after two weeks replace the first tray with a new one ...leave the product in the colony until the tray is empty...remove the product when installing the supers on the colony'

So, going by how soon the 2nd trays on some of my hives are currently being removed by the bees they will be on all winter.

You will find that the apiguard that is left has gone hard like a biscuit, so what is left (if dry) can be either thrown away or tip it onto the top of the brood frames. Once it has dried out it is of little use.

It does dry, but some I removed a couple of weeks ago and left outside but under cover, still smells very strongly of thymol.

It does dry, but some I removed a couple of weeks ago and left outside but under cover, still smells very strongly of thymol.

its funny, I had all my hives on apigaurd and the whole yard smelt of thymol, its not nice stuff at all

Back