Apiguard with supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I have a couple of questions regarding Apiguard. I have a hive which i'd like to leave a super on for winter stores, can i treat with Apigurd and leave the super of stores on or should I take it off? I'd like to leave it on as there is quite a few bees in there and don't want to crowd out the brood chamber. My second question is feeding with apiguard on, can i use a contact feeder above the crown board, above the eke? will they take it down?

Sorry one more question, how often are people inspecting their hives, every two weeks now?

Thanks.

Sorry one more question, how often are people inspecting their hives, every two weeks now?

Thanks.

Up until the other day I would have said inspecting every two weeks at this point was fine - however, I have just re-captured a primary swarm from a recently bought five-frame nuc and increased my number of colonies by one! Luckily I had call when it had settled about 20 yards away from the nuc box and having hived it immediately they have already drawn three full frames of foundation :cheers2:

Personally I myself will keep inspecting weekly until the end of September, but it's each to their own I suppose.

Cris

A friend telephoned me tonight to say they had seen a large swarm this evening while walking the dog.

It was about 8 miles away and I know the local beekeeper in that area has not been well the last 2 months(pneumonia).

I gave him a phone call and he has just rang me back to thank me,saying thank you, it was his bee's and he has rehived them.

Definitely weekly still. I collected a swarm this week too.
And one hive has an early queen cell which I am waiting to see if needed in the colony (no eggs last look, but larvae/capped brood+) - and no, not bee keeperitis as I have been away 3 week, PH :p

Hmmm - Not sure about the super and Apiguard. Obviously the bees will be using the stores there - not for human consumption - but will it taint the wax for next year, and so - future honey for sale???

I have a couple of questions regarding Apiguard. I have a hive which i'd like to leave a super on for winter stores, can i treat with Apigurd and leave the super of stores on or should I take it off? I'd like to leave it on as there is quite a few bees in there and don't want to crowd out the brood chamber.

Yes, just put the Apiguard try on the queen excluder before the super. I wouldn't recommend using honey stored in that super for anything other than feeding the bees, although it is likely perfectly safe for human consumption that is not something claimed by the manufacturer.

My second question is feeding with apiguard on, can i use a contact feeder above the crown board, above the eke? will they take it down?

If you are using a super you likely won't have an eke, right?

From the FAQ:
"The recommendation is not to apply Apiguard whilst feeding simultaneously in case the bees spend all their time taking the feed and not bothering to clean out the Apiguard gel. This is not a high risk and will vary between different colonies so if you have to feed and treat at the same time, try it in a few colonies first and see how the bees react."​

If you are using a super you likely won't have an eke, right?

Your right, I was going to make some instead of using empty supers on the other hives. So the feeder would be closer to the bees.

I have inspected my hives today & I am not enjoying it, they all are quiet until I open one up then its a free for all. The other hives want a piece of the action, honey, honey, honey!:boxing_smiley:

As JCbrum said if the others start robbing smoke all the hives then go back to inspect the first.:cheers2:

No. Smoke them. Do as JCBrum says.

Smoking after they are a robbing nuisance is like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Do it before you open up.

Regards, RAB

Personally I take the chance of loosing a swarm at this time of year rather than inspect on a weekly basis, too many wasps and robbers about to be opening up on a frequent basis plus the risk of problems resulting from the manipulation.

Peter

Latest posts

Back