Apiguard - too late?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
With the bad weather and trying to clear supers etc have I left it too late to apiguard?

I know not all bee keepers do use this and wondered whether I could concentrate on feeding instead and use oxylic acid midwinter?

I have "Apiguarded" my smaller colony although it has taken a while to go down I assume due to the low temps and there has been a significant varroa drop. The larger colony re queened and went through a "slow" period. I am concerned that they will not have enough stores if I take the remaining super off/ don't feed for the 4 week treatment duration etc

Am I caught between the devil and the deep blue....?

Floss

I use Thymol at the same time as feeding,just start treatment a few days before you feed so they dont ignore the treatment.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ?

I am in the same situation with some of my hives, particuarly the beehaus one.

I will just do as admin sugests.

Main point is varroa is fairly low and I will be treating with OA in late December.

FWIW - I started a week ago with Apiguard and it appears to be working well.

I'm also feeding syrup at the same time and it certianly hasn't reduced their appetite for clearing out the Apiguard tray. (every colony will be different though).

The weather forecast for the next week is looking good with high pressure moving in so I'd say go for it.

Even if you don't manage to cull most the varroa population, it can only set a better (lower population) mite platform for your oxalic acid treatment later in the year.

Thanks - that does make sense! Should I stick the supers back on for them to clear after they have cleared the apiguard?

Try and get your dirty supers back on and off before treatment starts if you can next year.

I work to a simple plan:

Supers off by late August bank holiday
Treatment/feeding started by the time the kids go back to school
OA treatment Boxing day.

And again makes sense but there is honey in them supers that the bees could have and I am loathe to deprive them of their hard earned rewards this year??

Apiguard versus varroa; varroa winning?

I checked my 2 hives early august and, with a daily mite drop of 3 on one hive and 55 on the other, started Apiguard treatment immediately. I run open mesh floors so put I in the monitoring trays, blocked the external gap above the trays and put in the entrance blocks.

Daily mite drop peaked at 26 and 400-500 respectively!! but are still high at 15 and 80 per day. I am now into the 5th week of Apiguard treatment, with the second tray of Apiguard going in after 2 weeks. Living in southern england the temperatures over the last 5 weeks have been reasonably warm and I would have expected the Apiguard to have reduced mite drop to low single figures by now.

Many (10-20%) of the fallen mites are still alive and alarmingly, the mite drop is starting to gradually rise on the least infected hive.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Ruary Rudd's diary of Apiguard treatment (see Dave Cushman's site), suggests that by now my mite count should be very low. Anyone got any ideas how I should proceed? Use more Apiguard/be patient/Apistan?

There is still a little Apiguard left in the trays, and I was wondering if a third Apiguard tray might be necessary.

Wow, sorry I can't advise you but 400-500 drop rate per day sounds massive.

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly who can give 'expert' advice.

Buzz,sounds like you have a severe infestation,sounds like you will need to give a further treatment. I tried apiguard myself years ago,and was not at all impressed,but thousands are,so must be okay,just not a thing i will be trying again.

Try and get your dirty supers back on and off before treatment starts if you can next year.

I work to a simple plan:

Supers off by late August bank holiday
Treatment/feeding started by the time the kids go back to school
OA treatment Boxing day.

A question about this if you dont mind.

I was under the impression that AO is best adminestered when the hive is broodless and that statement seems a bit rigid to me as in - they get it weather its the ideal time to treat or not.

wouldn't it be better to treat after a really cold snap that will have stopped the queen laying for a couple of weeks? :confused:

Yes Admin,like in june. LOL, but seriously,some colonys don't stop brooding all winter.

Last edited:
Quite a few colonys on the heather have there brood box's full,and no brood now,and quite a few have two queens.Ideal to get rid of mites,before they start up again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back