Apiguard and feeding at the same time. New beekeeper needs help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

september28

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there,

I am in my first season beekeeping and whilst my "bee buddy" is a great source of knowledge, he doesn't seem to really go by the book, which means I get info from the association saying this is what should be done, and then him saying "ahh don't bother doing that, just do this".

It has gotten a little bit confusing now!

My question is: The association (CBKA - Cambridgeshire) has said that it is fine to feed and do apiguard at the same time. Which is lucky since without realising it I am late with getting the treatment in. My colony is fairly strong considering it was collected from a swarm in June and I think it was a virgin queen.

So this morning I have put in the apiguard pouch as instructed on top of the brood frames (i have taken the queen excluded out as advised). I would then just put the crown board on top except there is not enough space and the crown board ends up squashing the apiguard. I don't have an eke yet so have put an empty super to provide the space - i know this is not ideal. On top of the super i have put the crown board and then on top of the crown board I have put my feeder bucket (upside down with the gauze over a hole). To space this i have then needed to put another empty super so that the roof then rests on top of that.

Is this an OK configuration? I realise that really an eke or a crown board with a bigger space would probably be the best solution.

No

You can make an eke easily- just a frame 1" sq wood to edge the brood box.

A super isn't a good idea - heat loss and bees up there making comb all over the place.
If the colony is fairly strong and has some stores you are safe to treat first. I have got both strong and newer- and the newer I have fed as well to keep them safe. The weather has turned cooler and wetter so less foraging down here.
Never give bees space to do their own thing- they will.

Use an eke, then the crown board with a feed over one of the holes. Block the other hole up (if there is a second hole). keep minimal space for your bees so heat increased to make Apiguard work.

As heather says, give them space and they will do their own thing, last year they filled the one inch eke with their own comb and then filled it with stores, so i had to leave it for them to use, but feeding and an empty super is just asking for combs too be built of the crownboard, also make sure the floor insert is in to keep the thymol in

As a first year beek, 1 colony..

I fed during my first 2 weeks of Apiguard and at least half the Apiguard remained at the end of the 2 week period when I replaced it with the new pack, which has now been emptied fully before the 2 weeks is up.

I'm not sure what to conclude from this if anything, other than as others have speculated, that perhaps the bees are too occupied dealing with the syrup to remove, and thus hopefully distribute, the Apiguard.

So whilst one example is probably not sufficient to dictate practice I will certainly try to time varroa treatment and any feeding to not coincide in future.

Sometimes bees remove all Apiguard paste -sometimes they dont- it still works. Dont worry. At least you treated - some bee keepers still think it unnecessary!

Cor, I learn something new every day! I thought the apiguard paste just dissolved upon opening, into fumes. I didn't realise the bees actually nteracted with it!

:eek:

I have fed with the thymol on for the second fortnight in the past with no ill effects. I believe Apigusrd to be a sugar paste based product so we want the bees to eat, walk, move it around the hive. Remember to remove any ekes immediately you have finished the apiguard as the comb building and subsequent sorting out of the mess is a real pain in the a**e. I have done it once. (It is a wise man who learns from his own mistakes! It is an even wiser man who learns from other peoples!!!)

Thanks for the advice guys- looks like I will be building myself an eke tonight!

the dimensions for a national are 460x460mm right?

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks for the advice guys- looks like I will be building myself an eke tonight!

Cheers,

Dan

Thats right. Doesn't have to be tidy- only on there for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Dan

Do something or get a super full of wild comb with all your syrup in.

Don't Apiguard users sometimes scrape it out onto foil covered cardboard and then put that on the top bars?

We did this with our application this year. Scraped paste onto the foil lid from the tray & then put tray, with what was left, & lid into opposite corners of the brood box. Advised to do this by our local assocation members. Into 3rd week & 2nd dose. Lids were cleaned, some remained in trays. 1 of our 2 hives had a large initial drop of varroa & has now eased off. 1st year with 2 hives & interesting to note the difference.

Latest posts

Back