Apigard

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Just a quickie. I've put a super without QE on one colony as queen laying wall to wall brood (poly hive) and I'm going to be away for some of winter so want to leave them with their own stores rather than feed (they were a swarm caught this year) I'd obviously like to apigard them before season end, my question is, I'm aware that supers should be off before application but if I don't plan to harvest it, does the thymol affect the wax? Will the super wax be ok for use next year or will it be tainted.

Just a quickie. I've put a super without QE on one colony as queen laying wall to wall brood (poly hive) and I'm going to be away for some of winter so want to leave them with their own stores rather than feed (they were a swarm caught this year) I'd obviously like to apigard them before season end, my question is, I'm aware that supers should be off before application but if I don't plan to harvest it, does the thymol affect the wax? Will the super wax be ok for use next year or will it be tainted.

The stores will be tainted.

Two questions:
'obviously I'd like to Apiguard them'

Are you sure they need treatment?

Have you considered MAQS?

I'm not keen on MAQS after hearing of numerous supercedure/queen loss last year from local assoc... I'm not definately going to treat them, i'm considering options in advance really, I just wondered if the wax is tainted and will affect honey flavour if reused as a super next year?

The supersedure debate is an interesting one about MAQS. Could it be that queens were being naturally superseded due to poor mating in the mixed weather we had (just happened to be when MAQS was used). August is often when they choose to do it.

I imagine more of it will be used this year so imagine the debate will continue.

I'm a real MAQS fan.
Last year I treat dour colonies AFTER harvest, so they were down to the one brood box. Two queens were superseded.
This year I treated much earlier and they have supers on top, queens have either continued regardless or there has been a very short brood break.
I'll use it again next year
Then there is Hopguard being licensed to think about.

Having recently been a swarm, taking with them only a few phoretic mites, do they need treatment at this point?
Any evidence of a current varroa problem?

If you were not anticipating Oxalic treatment in midwinter (due to being away), there'd be more justification. But you'd then be expecting to do something in early Spring.

Quite a few successful MAQS treatments last year as well. Only heard positive reports this year.

I note that apart from OA this product seems to be the most mentioned anti varroa treatment at present, unlike three years ago when there seemed to be a continual discussion about which one of several on the market was the best.

Having recently been a swarm, taking with them only a few phoretic mites, do they need treatment at this point?
Any evidence of a current varroa problem?

If you were not anticipating Oxalic treatment in midwinter (due to being away), there'd be more justification. But you'd then be expecting to do something in early Spring.
Cheers itma, I did consider that. I've not used oxalic as a winter treatment as yet, do the majority of beekeepers use it? I'll be back in December so could be a possibility I suppose.

Latest posts

Back