Apifuge (or similar) bee repellent spray

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc197

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello everyone
Has anyone used Apifuge spray or a similar product?

I keep my bees on my allotment and while I wean/breed out their defensive and following traits I am looking for a stop-gap product that I can spray on my head to keep the bees away from my face while digging in the plot.
The bees bother me even when I am a good 10 feet from the hive and have not done an inspection.

Have you used this spray, or another one? Have you tried it on your head/neck?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recently told that Oil of Cloves was something that deterred bees.

The suggestion was to put a few drops on a cloth and keep the cloth in a poly bag (though a jamjar or similar sounds better to me). Then later, a wipe of the cloth over your hands before an inspection was said to have the bees keeping out of the way of your fingers.
Eminent lecturer, no suggestion of any legpull, but new to me - and unverified just yet.

However, from the sound of things, its requeening pronto rather than a breeding programme that is going to be your best way forward.

Is ther eanyway you can put up a temporary screen between the bees and where you are working? I had to clear a space next to my hive - and a couple of bees came to inspect what was going on - after the 3rd one I decided that I was annoying them, so we propped up a 6ft square fence panel between me and them - and no further inspections from the
Clerk of Works :)

Hello everyone

I keep my bees on my allotment and while I wean/breed out their defensive and following traits I am looking for a stop-gap product that I can spray on my head to keep the bees away from my face while digging in the plot.
The bees bother me even when I am a good 10 feet from the hive and have not done an inspection.

Thanks

Tried it out of curiosity last week. Bees went ape. Did not work. Will try it again a few more times.
Cazza

Hello everyone

Thanks

I hope you have good neighbours because that is not a good mix, I don't know what you mean by "breed out" if it was me I would requeen ASAP. It is not really fair on the other plotholders and once against you its a battle lost.

Latest posts

Back