Apidea/ Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuttingedge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
We are going to be setting up and transporting about 100 Mann Lake mini mating nucs which are very similar to the Apidea mating nucs. We are moving these to an isolated mating yard and I was wondering how much fondant to put in each when setting them up? We normally use syrup but because we are transporting these, I think that fondant would be a better choice. Any thoughts?

Just fill the food compartment with fondant and mist the surface of the fondant lightly with water. I tend to have the fondant inside an open cutcomb container as it facilitates adding the fondant.

Last edited:
Apidea hold about 0.5kg fondant in the feeder

Just fill the food compartment with fondant and mist the surface of the fondant lightly with water. I tend to have the fondant inside an open cutcomb container as it facilitates adding the fondant.

Thanks, I was worried about the fondant potentially drying out so I will definitely mist it with some water.

You'll find you need to refill it much less using fondant and won't have the same yellow jacket issues later in the season. Filling to the top has another important job. It stops them building comb in the feeder instead of the frames

Latest posts

Back