Apiary Windbreaks

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haughton Honey

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Lots of Commercial hives.......
I am currently looking in to surrounding my apiaries with 5ft-6ft windbreaks in the Autumn and wondered what fellow 'beeks' on here used for the purpose - as well as helping to perhaps hide my hives I'm most interested in providing additional Winter protection for them.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Yep, we are thinking about it too. Got our bees on a 3.5 acre field (ours) with willow breaks which are not really thick enough for full protection yet. Various galebreaker-type meshes about.

autumn!! tomorrow is meant to be a rough one!

I place mine close to hedgerows. Even when facing the prevailing, the wind just whips over the top of the hedgerow.

Most of my sites are secluded and well sheltered naturally......but have one where it gets a bit raw in winter.....used cedar slabs, which is waste from the logs we sawmill,makes very good windbreak.

Hi,

Mine are reasonably well shelered from wind but was thinking of a roof to cover the hives (2 close together) to keep rain, snow and frost off.

Good, bad or indifferent idea?

mine are in a victorian walled garden...heat in summer is my problem, but we have used pampas grass as a fast growing screen to keep theiving eyes away...handfull of 20 20 10 fertiliser in the planting hole, already bl,,,,dy big at 8ft and getting bushy after a year

I have willow hurdles around mine. I took two down so that the hives got as much sun as poss but they will be up for winter. Also making a wooden jacket for them, leaving room for entry and exit, so that each sits in its own mini shed

I have grown cuttings of Worcester Berries. I did hope to plant them in front of the hives.

They can be grow into a really thick hedge, and the fruit is good. (Beware of the thorns)

If you are going to grow a wind break, grow something you can take a crop from.:)

Here is a picture of my allotment apiary before I repopulated it after moving them to another sight. I used recycled fence posts and scaffold netting, working a treat so far.

Latest posts

Back