Apiary rental price - what is a reasonable amount?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I am currently looking round for a place to sight my bees next year. I intend to approach people who own sights that would meet my needs as well as the bees needs

I am looking at different sites for different reasons

1/ A permanent base where I can base colonies over winter

2/ Sites where I can base colonies that are near to crops IE rape/HB/beans/borage

I would like to know what other people pay for these facilities? IE cash per hives/ honey per hive/ lump sum

What is a reasonable amount?

Thanks in advance

BB

The people I have approached have not wanted any rent, but I give them some honey and they are more than happy.

that sounds like a very good arrangement. I would be very happy with that as I would be happier to deal in honey instead of cash

The traditional rental is a pound per hive. :) I have to admit it sounds a bit mean but then again when you are up to the numbers it does of course add up.

I had to buy in honey for one site as they prefer extracted honey to comb.

I also find that if it is good site that a bottle of good malt helps enormously ;)

PH

As above, 1 jar, per hive, per year. 2 if you are feeling generous/it's a good year.

Also, take a few extra at Christmas always seems to go down well.

Adam

I pay 1 jar per hive per site. This is always a little contentious as one landlord loves the honey so much he wants a jar for the maximum number of hives and nucs. On the other hand I get lots of eggs FOC from him. At my new apiary I specified 1 jar per producing hive. When I gave 5 jars the landlord was more than delighted.

Thanks everyone. some sounds advice and good ideas here. A jar per productive hive seems reasonable plus some malt if it is a very good site

I took a jar of Honey to the Farmer and his wife where I have my Hives.
They were everso greatful.
I think they appreciate the work that goes into the Bees producing it.
The Christmas gift is a good idea :)

I really think 1 jar of honey per hive is mean. I've never met a more tight-fisted bunch of people than Beekeepers! Offer them a good deal or a discount and you have to stand back to avoid the stampede! e.g Stoneleigh

I really think 1 jar of honey per hive is mean. I've never met a more tight-fisted bunch of people than Beekeepers! Offer them a good deal or a discount and you have to stand back to avoid the stampede! e.g Stoneleigh

OK, so you think there are mean beekeepers here, I disagree but I asked for peoples opinions, what do you pay for your apiary/hives?

Yes there is a culture of "economy" in beekeeping but why not?
There's no money in honey and every little helps.

One of my friends father used to have many hives as a living and used to receive £50 per hive to move them into orchards etc. This was many years ago, how things have changed.

One of my friends father used to have many hives as a living and used to receive £50 per hive to move them into orchards etc. This was many years ago, how things have changed.

Is there a market in pollination? I know it's big in america, not seen so much about it here.

I was reading last year about a guy who has a contract in Kent for the fruit trees.

that sounds like a very good arrangement. I would be very happy with that as I would be happier to deal in honey instead of cash

All the books I have read suggest the traditional 'rental' for hosting hives is 1lb of honey per colony.

I'd be interested to know if inflation has impacted that. I will probably pay about £22 next year for a five rod allotment plot, bit I will be able to use the other part for growing produce.

All the books I have read suggest the traditional 'rental' for hosting hives is 1lb of honey per colony.

I'd be interested to know if inflation has impacted that.

Yep - the price of honey has gone up in proportion to the rent, so it's still 1:1.:D

Yeah, offer them a discount rather than giving them something for nothing?

Great marketing, but that is not more generous. You're just pulling them in with making them think they're getting something for nothing, yet you shift more units for minimal outlay.

When I get honey(next year hopefully) I will give my landlords a couple of jars but I also take them home made biscotti( if you want the recipe I will supply it) and buy their fruit and veg, they don't give me discount, which is fine, so I won't give them too much, which I feel is also fine.

The trick really is to find a great couple like I've found, they are so supportive and love having my girls about their smallholding.

Back