Apiary Near Pylons?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathJ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just moved my hives from my back garden to a site close to overhead pylons. I only intend to keep one colony on this site but was wondering if anyone had any information about the possible adverse affects of bees being in close proximity to transmission lines.

ive got my bees with power lines only about 1/4 mile away, ive never had problems with the bees suffering from the power lines.

While I can't find the link, it is common knowledge that electro-interference from high power overhead cables, or transformers can make even mild tempered colonies go 'wild' - I'd be prepared to run for cover when approaching, make sure that you are insured if there is a footpath nearby and be prepared for alot of stings !

Of course - it all depends on how close the colony is to the cables !

regards

S

Hi

I have had a site 50-100m from overhead cables and never had a problem...........suck it and see.

Regards Ian

Have any studies been done regarding pylons and any difference in comb building directions?

They are probably less than 20m from the overhead lines! I think I'll see how they are in a couple of days time however, I am a little concerned about the long term effects on their health.
The reason I have moved them is so that I can ultimately put them on a new site close to my house. A farmer has already agreed to let me use his land but I knew I couldn't put them straight there as the distance was less than 1 mile and the bees would have returned to my garden. Am I right in thinking that I would have to leave them for at least 10 days before moving them to the better site?

Of course there are pylons and there are PYLONS! Bees under a 400kV super-grid transmission line are likely to be affected more than a 3.3kV feeder supply (poles). Not sure what the voltage would be on the smallest pylon-supported sections.

It had been reported (long before the internet) about unhappy bees under power lines - long before Walter Marshall spouted about the CEGB finding no evidence to prove any detrimental effects of the overhead transmission lines to humans.

Let us know if there is a noticeable change in temperament. If there is, it is unlikely to be an improvement! If there is a change it would help some of us to know the actual proximity and transmission voltage. Even winter to summer may be a considerable change in effect, depending on height of the cables, if mid-distance between pylons. Inverse square rule and all that.

Regards, RAB

Have had hives, some 40, pretty much under pylons to no effect at all.

In my view the word "pylon" describes high power metal structures, wooden poles are err... wooden poles.

Another urban legend?

PH

Last edited:
I can only comment on my own experience, but I've had one of my colonies within 20m of electric pylons for a year now, and they have been and still are one of my most placid and productive colonies. The queen is an F3 from one of Norton’s queens, which I keep being told will turn “nasty” well I’m still waiting, then again, is it the power lines that are keeping them docile :)

Rich

Hi Rich
Nice to see you back

Regards;

I can't believe it wouldn't affect them a bit in terms of temper.

I used to drive an old MG Midget, then a Mazda MX5 (both lovely cars). When driving under a proper job set of transmission lines with the roof down, you could hear the crackling of the air being plasma-ed by the high voltage. It was worse in humid or damp weather.

If I could feel/hear it, I'm sure bees that can detect on-coming bad weather and the Earth's magnetic field must 'notice' it hugely.

I'm not convinced it does the individual bees, or any other creature, long-term damage but as the bee colony is a super-organism which relies on the mood and co-ordination of its members, it may well be 'naused up' to use a technical term by that sort of electrical field.

FG

however, I am a little concerned about the long term effects on their health.

What sort of bees do you keep, then? Apart from the Queen, mine only live about 24 days at best: that seems to take care of worries over their long term health.

I'm moving some bees to a site almost under a pylon this year, calm and prolific AMM's . Will monitor.

Pylons and poles. Different beasts indeed.

We've an 11kv line across the top of the apiary field that's about to be buried as trade for a 33kv at the bottom of the field. Couldn't come up with a case for them to go elsewhere but the trading's been fun :)

last year i took two swarms out of sub stations 1 a 66kva the other 132kva both had been there for a few weeks couldnt tell any differance

Sorry, 66 and 132kva doesn't compute. Do yuo mean power (kVA) or voltage (kV)?

There is more than a subtle difference between the two.

Latest posts

Back